Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating system query

Options
  • 22-05-2013 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have just started a new build, foundations are complete, block work started this week. We are planning on using an air to water heat pump with ufh on the ground floor (ufh already installed), but am unsure about what to do upstairs, plan at moment is to use aluminium rads tied into the heat pump but have read/heard conflicting reports on performance and on cost fluctuations with having such a system in place? Some extra detail on build, initial BER is A2, cavity block finish with 250mm beaded insulation in walls, 400mm insulation in foundations and roof so pretty well insulated, triple glazing throughout, size wise it is a dormer, ~2300 sqfeet.
    Any suggestions from anyone on what to use to heat the upstairs from experience ? Go with ufh again, use a stove to heat the rads? Electric rads? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Brave Harvey

plan at moment is to use aluminium rads tied into the heat pump but have read/heard conflicting reports on performance and on cost fluctuations with having such a system in place?

Hi im looking at this for a house, but looking into water to water with UFH on ground floor and rads on first floor. Can you enlighten me on what you have heard about the performance and cost fluctuations with having such a system. We are still looking into the water to water as an option and may change to the air to water. The water to water seem very expensive 15 grand before the digging of a well and some other bits. They say theres a payback after 8 years, I cant really see how..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm going to be using air-to-water heat pump too (but backed up by a condensing oil-boiler I already had).

I was going to go UFH downstairs and rads upstairs but went with UFH throughout after consulting with the plumber. Glad I did it. Having no rads is really starting to appeal to me. We were furniture shopping and we have no walls to avoid now as we've no rads to avoid.

Each room is a zone too so we can limit using the UFH to the rooms we use regularly, heating other rooms only as we might need them.

Advertisement