Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door Pot Plants - Evergreen Boxwood??

Options
  • 22-05-2013 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I am trying to decide on what type of plant to get for pots at our front door.

I have decided to get the evergreen ones i.e. Boxwood type plants.

Is there any particular ones that are better than others and also I have noticed that you can get the tall bark ones that are then shaped round, or long tall triangular ones.

Just wondering which would you recommend to look best and what would go well with countrystyle cottage.

I have brown windows and was thinking of Red / Black pots....

Just looking for tips on what to buy from those who are more experienced green fingers than myself. Thanks a lot

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Sparky100 wrote: »
    I am trying to decide on what type of plant to get for pots at our front door.

I have decided to get the evergreen ones i.e. Boxwood type plants.

Is there any particular ones that are better than others and also I have noticed that you can get the tall bark ones that are then shaped round, or long tall triangular ones.

Just wondering which would you recommend to look best and what would go well with countrystyle cottage.

I have brown windows and was thinking of Red / Black pots....

Just looking for tips on what to buy from those who are more experienced green fingers than myself. Thanks a lot

Hollyball trees perhaps?

Ilex nellie stevens......white summer flowers and then red winter berries.:)

Some nice large black planter pots would look well.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Could also try a Bay laurel (Laurus nobilis). Nice evergreen shrub, slight aromatic foliage and can be used for seasoning in cooking.

Buxus Sempervirens is another option for your, easily cared for. Just need good drainage in the pots. As it's slow growing it doesn't need to be pruned too often.

Maybe consider terracotta pots, or wooden barrels for pots? Might go with the cottage look a little better

DoBhrionn wrote: »
    Could also try a Bay laurel (Laurus nobilis). Nice evergreen shrub, slight aromatic foliage and can be used for seasoning in cooking.

Buxus Sempervirens is another option for your, easily cared for. Just need good drainage in the pots. As it's slow growing it doesn't need to be pruned too often.

Maybe consider terracotta pots, or wooden barrels for pots? Might go with the cottage look a little better

Nothing an extra hole or 3 drilled into the base of the pot cant sort out.

Oh and some 15-20mm gravel/stones at the base,aswell as some grit in the compost/manure.:)

Some nice large resin/fibre-crete pots that look like wooden barrels/planters.

Might be more suitable to a country/cottage style look.:)

Also no harm to install the pots/planters on some pot feet,this will raise the pot/planter clean off the ground and allow water to freely drain out and not stay clogged up in the pot/planter base.They come in black and terracotta colours.

Advertisement