Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

keep or chuck(strawberry plants)

Options
  • 22-05-2013 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hi, Last year i planted a dozen or so strawberry plants only to have the local cats pee and poo in the bed that they are planted in the cats have now gone but the plants seem to be thriving this year i was thinking of digging them up and cleaning to bare root if possible and replanting in clean soil. The have flowers already on them so am wondering if it would be safe to eat the fruit after i transplant or just chuck them out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭DoBhrionn

Don't chuck them out, they'd still be in good condition.

It's preferred if you left them in the soil while they're flowering as you may effect the final result.
    I'd say the fruit will be alright, if it doesn't feel, look or smell in any way good. Don't eat them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Don't worry, they will be fine. Let them fruit and if you feel you must move them leave it till they are dormant in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

what cats did a year ago will have no effect whatsoever on the quality or safety of the fruit that will be produced

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

peadar76 wrote: »
    what cats did a year ago will have no effect whatsoever on the quality or safety of the fruit that will be produced

and you volunteer to be the first taster?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Me second taster nyom nyom :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Tuna flavoured strawbs, hmm

Advertisement