Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French comprehension q6

Options
  • 22-05-2013 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

For these questions, is it ok to give an answer that a previous question has already mentioned. I often find an answer to a previous question in the conprehension is useful for this question too?

also is it fine to not manipulate at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Yep, you could write anything, but you obviously have to quote, and you wouldn't be able to quote a question (obviously). The Q'6s are usually easy marks. Just make sure you quote the text as it must be done to get the full marks.

Eh, well for some of the questions you won't need to manipulate them at all, but for some other questions you will have to. For example, if something is like "Je me rends triste" in the comprehension, and the the question asks you "what emotion is X feeling", you're obviously not going to reply "I am feeling sad" (in French). You will have to manipulate that and say He/she feels sad, or whatever. So you'd have to switch the sentence into : "Il/Elle se rend triste" ... That's a pretty bad example but it gets the point across.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Do you quote in English or French for the question 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

You would quote in french and explain in english i think!

But for that example, would simply putting down 'triste' instead of manipulating be sufficient as the marking scheme can be harsh for those that manipulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

You would quote in french and explain in english i think!

But for that example, would simply putting down 'triste' instead of manipulating be sufficient as the marking scheme can be harsh for those that manipulate.

You answer in English, then quote in French.

I don't think you'd get full marks for that. I'd say half marks, but that's it. I'm almost sure that you need full sentences for the comprehension answers (other than when they ask for 'an expression, a word' or whatever).

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

ray2012 wrote: »
    Yep, you could write anything, but you obviously have to quote, and you wouldn't be able to quote a question (obviously). The Q'6s are usually easy marks. Just make sure you quote the text as it must be done to get the full marks.

Eh, well for some of the questions you won't need to manipulate them at all, but for some other questions you will have to. For example, if something is like "Je me rends triste" in the comprehension, and the the question asks you "what emotion is X feeling", you're obviously not going to reply "I am feeling sad" (in French). You will have to manipulate that and say He/she feels sad, or whatever. So you'd have to switch the sentence into : "Il/Elle se rend triste" ... That's a pretty bad example but it gets the point across.

I would advise against manipulating for Q6, the reason being is that you're more likely to make a mistake and lose marks and you won't get any more marks for it for putting in a French quote, it just supports your answer, the way I found around it (using ray2012's example) is to say:

'L'auteur dit: "Je me rende triste"'

This is the easiest way, I found, to get around a tricky manipulation, cos you never know what you may miss out, you may be unwittingly changing a subjunctive and not get the correct ending or any number of other things.

What I did during my LC was just find the portion of the text that is relevant to Q6 and just translate it into my own words in English, you can't really go wrong then, maybe throw in an opinion to fill up the space, but other than that nothing really else

• Advertisement
Advertisement