Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French or Biology?

Options
  • 22-05-2013 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what people think I should do for my subjects next year. I've been given the option of taking either Biology or French but I can't do them both, even though I want to. My principal suggested that I try to take one of them by myself outside of school and I'm just wondering which people would recommend. I'd more than likely be taking French at OL, since I'm only using it for matriculation.

I'm currently doing Chemistry, Physics, Business and Applied Maths in school along with Maths, English and Irish. Also, I realise I'd be doing 9 subjects for the LC, but considering French will be OL and I'll probably end up dropping to pass Irish as well, I'd only really be focusing on my 3 sciences, Business, Applied Maths and Maths for points purposes.

I'm an average student at French (Got 70% in my Pre at HL) but my French teacher isn't the best, so I've been doing a lot of work on my own anyways. I'm much better at Science and Mathsy subjects and generally love science anyways. I'm just wondering what peoples opinions would be for which one I should take by myself (most likely with grinds in 6th year).

Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

If I was you, i'd do biology! I love biology!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

biology is cool enough alright

id go for that too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I would definitely do French to keep your options open. Biology is a matter of learning it off. I would probably do French in school and biology outside as if you like it it wouldn't be too much of a chore. Even though you'd be doing OL I think doing it in a classroom would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

I advice keeping up French anyway, it is required for some 3rd level institutes and you could end up kicking yourself if you drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Layzerman

Before people go off saying biology's easy; it's not. You'd probably need help with the biochemistry (photosynthesis & respiration) and probably genetics as it makes up a good 5 or 6 chapters. The rest would be okay to do on your own so I'd recommend biology outside school with a few grinds.. It's a long course though so don't leave everything until 6th year, look at exam papers etc. There's a few topics that come up most (if not all) years too.

You'd be better off doing French in school, I know a few people doing a 3rd language at OL outside school and they struggle to keep up with the oral and aural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Just to keep it clear, I will 100% be doing French OL for the LC. I have no intentions to not to do it, it's too much of a risk for matriculation. I will also be definitely be doing Biology, I'm just not sure which I'll be doing in school or which I'll be doing outside of school.

The thing about French, is I don't mind the actual language or exam, it's the class itself that I detest. My teacher tbf is brilliant at French but she's a terrible class management person. She can't control a class in the slightest. She also just piles on homework for the lot of us, just because a couple of lads (who are keeping on french :rolleyes: ) mess about. This is a huge pain. Also, doing OL or HL won't make a difference because we'll still be in her French class so I'm seriously considering doing outside of school like myself.

Could anyone explain what would be expected for the OL French exam in the Leaving Cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

The fact that French requires an oral you would be in a better position doing that in school in my opinion whether you are OL or HL.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

do you need french for your chosen college course if not do bio because it is one of the easiest biology subjects. I think you are overloaded on the subjects and since you are a science nerd just like me i would recommend dropping business as it is not at all associated with science except probably maths

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

onlinenerd wrote: »
    do you need french for your chosen college course if not do bio because it is one of the easiest biology subjects. I think you are overloaded on the subjects and since you are a science nerd just like me i would recommend dropping business as it is not at all associated with science except probably maths
    I'm only doing business because it's the only subject in that band I want to do. Not really any lead way there. I'm keeping on French regardless of whether or not I do it in or out of school, it's too risky to drop it in case I need it for college.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Student007

Keep in mind that you need a 3rd language for most universities...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chlareol

I'd suggest doing Biology in school as the course is much broader and it's more difficult to understand. If you get a few French grinds in 5th year or even just get a friend to overstuff with you you'll be fine, you just need to learn the extra grammar and vocab. Rob everyone's notes and learn from those, and then get a few grinds before the oral or ask a teacher in your school to go over stuff. They'll probably correct stuff for you too. I do German outside school because my Dad's German and the teacher corrects my essays about once a month. I photocopied all the German class's notes on environment, recession etc and I'm more or less sorted now. You should be fine for Biology with all your science subjects, it's tough but manageable. I have a blog ( http://leavingcerthangovers.tumblr.com ) where I put up a lot of my notes, that might help. I'm also selling all of my notes after the leaving, including a good bit of French stuff, so send me a PM if you're interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

If you're only going to be taking French for matriculation purposes then I'd definitely advise you to do that outside of school. Biology is a huge course with a few tricky chapters that are quite difficult to try and understand without the help of a teacher. (These chapters e.g Respiration and Photosynthesis come up every year too)

I do both subjects and in my opinion French is a lot easier to wrap my brain around than biology, and biology is my favourite subject :p

Advertisement