Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied for lots of jobs but no interviews

Options
  • 22-05-2013 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi. I have completed the first batch of Chartered Accountancy exams (CAP1). I have 6 months Accounts experience. I can also type 50 wpm. I have a Science Degree.

I have applied for Accounts Assistant jobs, Junior Accounts roles and trainee Accountant roles. I also applied for Secretarial work as I have a couple of years Administration experience. I even applied for Fund Accountant jobs. I also applied for Dispensary Pharmacy jobs.I sent off 80 job applications and have not got even one Interview.

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pepp

unfortunately that's the job market:(, but maybe have someone look at your CV you need to tailor it to each job you are applying for to highlight the requirements so you are noticed and not discarded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 thetrainee1

Have you gone through official grad schemes with the Big 4? Might be no harm to actually just ring up, spaces are always popping up here and there from what I hear. Just really emphasise you've got your CAP 1's, that's quite impressive to have done on your own back!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭mark_m360

You need to ensure your CV stands out from others, presentation of your CV is crucial. You have 20seconds to impress a potential employer with your CV so it has to be good. You obviously have the qualities and skills to get a job so its how you show it on your CV.

Also as said above, you must tailor your CV for every job, and include a detailed cover letter, describing why you believe that job is for you. You can use a similar one for accounting jobs with some edits as to the role, and do the same for other industries.

Also, follow up!! There is absolutely no point in sending off 80 cv's if you don't follow up on any them. They want you to want the job, so by showing your interest in applying, and by following up with the status of said job, it shows that you might be worth an interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭hockeygirl

I agree with the other posters.. You have to tailor your cv to every role you apply for, even if the roles are similar.
    Have your tried recruiting agencies? They could Definately give you some pointers.
    Secondly I see that you are doing ACA... Is this the elevation program?
    Have you considered transferring to ACCA If you are applying for industry roles? Because you realise that in industry you get feck all time off for study.
    It might be something to consider doing.
    Your science degree won't be a hindrance anyway as I have a physics degree myself so it can only be your cv. Think about writing a cover letter aswell it always helps as a cv won't tell you what's going on inside a persons head, cover letter will give it that personal touch

Advertisement