Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer from one line to another with isdn

Options
  • 22-05-2013 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all, I hope someone here can help.

I have 2 phone lines for business, so I contacted imagine about upgrading the line to isdn so I could carry the 2 of them through the one phone.

I was told (not by imagine btw) that if I had a primary and secondary set up, the secondary line would become active if the primary was busy. I took this to mean that if I had another handset the second handset would ring if the first was engaged.

Is this possible? Can't seem to get an answer from imagine other than to send it to an outside company, which of course will only add to the cost of doing this in the first place.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Not sure if Imagine do ISDN but yes you can have multiple phones on an ISDN bus.
    And you can have 2 lines.
    Normally you also get 2 bearer numbers and 10 Direct dialling in numbers but that can vary by provider.
    You would need an ISDN phone that uses 2 lines or in the case of Eircom supplied ISDN basic rate you can plug in 2 analogue phones instead if you prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭carrick79

Hi Xantia, thanks for your reply.

I'm very confused right now :)

I'm looking to run 2 handsets from the box, and I have found instructions to do it using 1 phone number. My problem is that number also has a secondary number, and if I try this what will happen to the secondary number?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Yes you can plug 2 ordinary 'house' telephones into the box.
    Both of them will get dial tone.
    Both of them will have a number assigned to them.
    Normally they are the 'bearer' numbers and they should be written on the box itself or you can get them from the provider.
    Dont worry about the secondary phone number, you can get the provider to 'send out' the main number if you prefer or you could asssign the 2nd number to a fax or such.
    Normally the main number will 'hunt' over on to the second number.
    You can try that by making the first line busy on a call and then ring the main number from your mobile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

afaik Eircom are the only ones that can do ISDN

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

eirator wrote: »
    afaik Eircom are the only ones that can do ISDN

ISDN is sold by many providers, key examples are Vodafone and Imagine.

They use eircom's infrustructure though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement