Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Thorp aka Alan Turner passes away

Options

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo


    I was a fan of the show in the old days, back in 80s, when it used to be on RTE before 6pm.
    Always remember himself and old Amos running the pub.
    Those were back in the days when they actually mentioned a farm.

    RIP.

    I am not allowed discuss …



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go


    There goes one of the last links to Emmerdale Farm...

    In fact, if Wikipedia is right, then Eric Pollard is now the last current character to have been in the soap when it was called that (and the last to have been in it before the plane crash, too).

    RIP Richard.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv


    RIP Richard Thorp heard he was lovely, kind man on and off screen.
    Sympathies to his family


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975


    jmayo wrote: »
    I was a fan of the show in the old days, back in 80s, when it used to be on RTE before 6pm.
    Always remember himself and old Amos running the pub.
    Those were back in the days when they actually mentioned a farm.

    RIP.
    RIP.


    Think it's Henry Wilkes you're thinking of.

    I remember watching it too every day on RTE 1 after school.

    When Alan Turner first arrived he was hated in what was then Beckindale village.

    Annie Sugden is still alive (Sheila Mercier), she is well into her 90s now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo


    padd b1975 wrote: »
    RIP.


    Think it's Henry Wilkes you're thinking of.

    I remember watching it too every day on RTE 1 after school.

    When Alan Turner first arrived he was hated in what was then Beckindale village.

    Annie Sugden is still alive (Sheila Mercier), she is well into her 90s now.

    Actually you are right it was Henry Wilkes.
    God the mind is going.
    Believe it or not, but he passed away back in 1991 and Amos passed away in 2007.

    Alan Turner arrived as the manager of Home Farm estates if I recall correctly.

    I am not allowed discuss …



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975


    jmayo wrote: »
    Actually you are right it was Henry Wilkes.
    God the mind is going.
    Believe it or not, but he passed away back in 1991 and Amos passed away in 2007.

    Alan Turner arrived as the manager of Home Farm estates if I recall correctly.
    Think it was called NY (North Yorkshire) Estates.

    They took over the old Verney Estate which went on to become Home farm when Frank Tate bought it.

    Its the only original set still left from when Emmerdale Farm started.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23


    What happened to him?


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90


    He was in last night's episode, sad to see.


  • Registered Users Posts: 86,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1


    pooch90 wrote: »
    He was in last night's episode, sad to see.

    The private funeral of Emmerdale actor Richard Thorp took place today (June 4).

    Thorp, who played Alan Turner in the soap for over 30 years, died last month at the age of 81.

    A larger public memorial service for fans may take place at a later date.

    Tonight's episode of Emmerdale marked Turner's final on-screen appearance in the show, and the hour-long edition aired in dedication to Thorp.

    Producers for the show have said that his absence will be mentioned in upcoming episodes, while writers decide on a fitting way to write out a character who made his first appearance in 1982.

    :(


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69


    Great character.
    RIP.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie


    He was a lovely actor, there used to be such gentle humour in it back then. I remember back in the '80's my Gran filling me in on the storyline everyday, she was addicted to the programme, happy memories. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5


    He was Steph's dad ( can't think of his son's name in the series ) and of course grandad to the lovely, lamented Tricia. I wonder if they'll be referenced in whatever way he is written out.

    RIP.


Advertisement