Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing career

Options
  • 22-05-2013 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can give me some advice.

I am 38 years old and currently working as a credit controller for the past six years. At the moment, Im solely working on debt collecton and I hate it. My job is dead end and I want to move on. I've been here for six years. The money is good and the job is local but thats not enough anymore.

Prior to this I have six years banking experience, again in credit control and debt collection, although I also have some experience of underwriting, quality control, people management etc.

I would really like to do the IATI exams - part time over two years and looking for trainee accounting technician roles - my current job just isnt going to work as regards relevant work experience as its a small firm and there is already an accounts officer.

Am I mad? Am I too old? Will I be able to apply for jobs while completing the exams. I should add that I am child free and thats not going to change so I will be able to devote the time to study. Money is not a huge motivator once I am happy and can pay the bills. I have an Arts degree and some basic accounts knowledge.

Any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Why do the IATI why not just do the ACCA exams or CIMA? Depending on how many you sit at each exam sitting you could be finished in 2-3 years the accounting technician course takes 2 years.

Have you a degree that would get you exemptions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

I'll have a look at the ACCA and CIMA as well, just unsure whats best. My degree is English Lit/History so not much use!

I've been looking at accounts technician/assistant job adverts etc and like the descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

As you progress through the CIMA & ACCA exams you get a qualification rg the certificate in business accounting then the diploma then the advanced diploma.

The roles you are looking at are accounts assistant roles ideal for someone part qualified

Advertisement