Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No money no benefits

Options
  • 22-05-2013 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Looking for advice.
    I am a separated man who had been in receipt of jsa for 5 years. I have been separated for 3 of those. I have two children who live with their mother and she receives single parents allowance for them.

I am currently living with a woman who has a good job. She Is separated also and her three children live with her husband. She makes mortgage payments still and pays maintenance to her husband and kids.

My jsa was cut off because we are co-habiting and her income is high. I have no income and am totally dependant on her. She has to pay all the bills, buy the groceries etc and this really gets me down.

Over the past year I sold everything I own to buy petrol to see my kids and buy presents for them. I have nothing left but my car and if I sell that I will never see my children.

My partner gives me money which makes me feel small and I often refuse it. She has responsibilities to her own children and husband and cannot let her own children do without to provide for me or mine.

I have two choices, leave the woman who has made me happy after years of loneliness or try and fight this some way.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Would you want her to leave if it was you with a high paying job and her with no money, dependent on you? I understand your pride is hurt but if the shoe was on the other foot things would feel different.

This is more a Personal Issue than a State Benefit question really.
    How about you make notes of how much money you get and once you have a job (I assume you're looking) then you can start paying back?

Unfortunately money is one of the main things to push a wedge in between people, but if you guys try to see the money as some sort of transaction maybe it will help?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The rules are the same for everybody regarding JSA,if you are cohabiting the total income into the house hold is what counts.

You can appeal the decision to stop your JSA,but if it was stopped a year ago you will have an uphill battle.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/social_welfare_appeals.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭leewarden

biko wrote: »
    Would you want her to leave if it was you with a high paying job and her with no money, dependent on you? I understand your pride is hurt but if the shoe was on the other foot things would feel different.

This is more a Personal Issue than a State Benefit question really.
    How about you make notes of how much money you get and once you have a job (I assume you're looking) then you can start paying back?

Unfortunately money is one of the main things to push a wedge in between people, but if you guys try to see the money as some sort of transaction maybe it will help?

Thank you for your reply. It is not just a matter of pride. This woman has her own family and responsibilities. Why should she buy my children's presents?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

leewarden wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. It is not just a matter of pride. This woman has her own family and responsibilities. Why should she buy my children's presents?
    Because you two are a couple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement