Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rube's Snippet Thread

Options
  • 22-05-2013 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Occasionally I come across a snippet of trivia so I thought I would start a thread to post such stuff. So here goes:

Athy:

It seems that Athy held the first ever closed circuit motor race. The forerunner of the modern Grand Prix. Prior to this the races were held on open roads with sometimes no control over public traffic.

Anyway a British driver had won the previous race so Britain was supposed to hold the next race. Back then Ireland was a part of the British empire.... (You can spit at this point if you wish I won't be offended) A gentleman by the name of Gordon Bennett (Yes THAT Gordon Bennett) had something to do with it. Mainland Britain still had severe speed restrictions for motor vehicles and found themselves in a bit of a mess over it. So passed the buck to Ireland where roads where closed off and speed restrictions were not in force over the 'circuit'.

To celebrate this event over one million spectators descended on Athy for the race. Italy had Red cars, France Blue cars and so on. To celibrate the race and to thank their Irish hosts Britain went with an emerald green, and this in later years developed into the famous British Racing Green (BRG).... So thanks to the generosity and help of the Irish, Britain got their international colours for motor racing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The Gorden Bennett route is still a popular drive and every year loads of vintage cars still follow the same roads though at a less frantic pace.
    A stop off at Hunters Hotel near Rathnew for afternoon tea is a must.

Nice snippet Rubes. I'll add one when I think of one suitably obscure. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Great idea OG. I can sometimes be a Trivia Hound. Odd facts are great. (Yes I like QI on the TV too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I was at one of the Gordon Bennett Rallies many years ago. I love all those vintage cars but was too shy to ask to sit in one. We never went to Hunters for lunch. We got inside the door one day but left after seeing the prices. Too rich for us I'm afraid. Maybe its different now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Another car related one.

When Porsche were bringing out their then new 911 model, it was almost named the 901.

When they tried to register the 901 name, they found that Peugeot had registered all 3 digit numbers with a zero in the middle, i.e. 404,306,106,etc.

Hence the new Porsche became the 911.

Another odd snippet.

OK it does sound a little bit in the realms of 'Adult' information, but it is serious.

If you have a nut allergy did you know that Brazil nuts are exceptionally dangerous?
    The reason being, is that uniquely amongst nuts the 'essence' of them can be transmitted to a sexual partner. So have your fun but not with a person who has eaten a brazil nut.

(Brazil nuts are also only collected from the wild as they can not be cultivated due to a complex life story.)

They are seeds from inside the actual nut by the way which looks a little bit like a coconut at the fairgound.

They are also radioactive.

• Advertisement

Fascinatin'! Absolutely fascinatin'!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Rubecula wrote: »
    They are also radioactive.
    :eek:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    :eek:

But only about as radioactive as bananas, which are also imbibed with that particular trait.

(starting to wonder if anything is safe to eat?)

I once saw a recruitment advert back in the 80's for a 'Banana Gasser', or some such. I think someone picked up on it and rang Gay Byrne about it. He got someone on from the fruit markets to explain that they really did have to gas bananas. I can't remember if it was 1st April or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Did you know that Ireland is the biggest exporter of bananas in the world? No messing:D. Fyffes brings in the fruit from various South American countries and then exports them around Europe, thus earning us this honour!

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I once saw a recruitment advert back in the 80's for a 'Banana Gasser', or some such. I think someone picked up on it and rang Gay Byrne about it. He got someone on from the fruit markets to explain that they really did have to gas bananas. I can't remember if it was 1st April or not!
    Layinghen wrote: »
    Did you know that Ireland is the biggest exporter of bananas in the world? No messing:D. Fyffes brings in the fruit from various South American countries and then exports them around Europe, thus earning us this honour!

Two excellent snippets ladies.

Did you also know that banana trees are not trees? (they are a kind of herb) Oh and by the way they also walk! (Yes really they do, very slowly but never the less they walk)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Rubecula wrote: »
    Two excellent snippets ladies.

Did you also know that banana trees are not trees? (they are a kind of herb) Oh and by the way they also walk! (Yes really they do, very slowly but never the less they walk)

You mean that's how they "split" :D

(Very poor joke I know but couldn't help it!)

Not sure if they walk in their 'slippers' though (There you go another poor joke to make you feel better :) )

Advertisement