Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on buying a new high-powered access point please

Options
  • 22-05-2013 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I currently live right across the street from my office, so i thought it would be a good idea to just extend the broadband I am already paying for over to my flat.

I bought two Asus N Range access points / repeaters

I set one up in the window of my office and another up at the closest wall in my flat.

The office one is in access point mode and the flat one is in repeater mode.

When it works it works flawlessly. But it times out a lot. A LOT. maybe once every two hours and the only thing that will get it back is if i physically restart the repeater.

I think perhaps that they are just about at the limit away from each other?
    (although, when i scan for networks on the repeater it mostly finds the original network of healthy signal)

So what I am wondering is, is there something better than N-Range that I could have for an access point? A higher powered antenna perhaps?

I've been looking that these:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/access-point-amped-wireless-600mW-AP20000G-Gigabit,17709.html

Does anyone think that would solve my problem? will a 2.4ghz repeater pick up signal from a 5ghz antenna????

All help much appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Just one of many ways to do it :

Get a pair of these, put one in each window :

http://www.irishwireless.net/locom5

(They (afaik) also have watchdogs to reboot them if they lock up )

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭showtime

do they have to go outside? outside isn't an option for me and at the apartment end i dont even have a window on that side

No it'll pass through the glass as long as it isn't silvered ( to prevent dodgy rays getting in etc)

Since you can barely pick up your original access point from across the street it should work fine

Window/wall mount for same yoke:

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-NanoStation-Window-Mount/dp/B004EHUR8U

cheers, and will that still supply the wifi to the devices in my office?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭zg3409

showtime wrote: »

5GHz wifi will not be picked up by most laptops. Smartphones especially normally onyl have 2.4Ghz.

The device linked to would be setup as a point to point link. Then you would need a seperate device in your home to re-share the wifi.

If any of your devices include 5Ghz then they may pick up the signal, but best to repeat the signal locally.

Set up the business side as an access point, setup your home end as a client or bridge, then finally setup another access point inside the home as close as possible to devices.

Ideally use a cable wherever possible as 2.4Ghz wireless can be dodgy.

• Advertisement

showtime wrote: »

These yokes will give you the equivalent of a very long ethernet cable from your office to your place across the road.

In your flat, plug the cable from the yoke on the window into the ASUS - set up the ASUS just to be an access point

As for wifi in the office, just move the ASUS off the window and set it up for wireless for the office

hi guys,

I knwo this was nearly a year ago now but I just wanted to sign in to say thanks to all who suggested the nanostations, I've only got around to getting a couple of them today, i must say they are great, so simple to set up (although not for novices) and they just worked.

thanks a million guys

Advertisement