Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neighbouring farm land flooding causing problems

Options
  • 22-05-2013 10:07am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As the title says really, the neighbouring farmland is prone to flooding and this is beginning to become a problem with our garden. At least the bottom 6ft of the garden is getting flooded whenever we have heavy rain.
    I have a biocycle unit which is around 7ft from the fence line and the soakage area runs to the right of it - away from the fence.

If I was to dig a trench at the foot of the garden and line with stones etc, would this have any impact on the flooding?

No point talking to farmer - its been like it for a couple of years and he's not the type to be helpful:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I dont think a drain will help, it depends on if it is surface water or rising water. it sounds more like a blocked swollow hole or somthing like it. have you a photo?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

its surface water - its been a problem ever since he ripped out a hedge in the middle of the field and is compounded by the fact that cows use the field and regularly churn up the land.

DSC_1041.jpg
    yb3catRvBl-me_6RrD316UUXYcvPV1fmZ2yyAGVS-zI?feat=directlink

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭1100010110

deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Your in a bit of a bind there.
    Do you have an open drain on any of the other boundaries?

The problem with digging a drain at the boundary fence is that the surface water from the field will fill it. And if there is nowhere to bring the water to them it will just fill and stay that way.

Soak pits are touted as a solution regularly but really not to cope with that volume of water. That volume of water needs draining away somewhere.

I blame the rain for the flooding, golly darned cloud monkeys with their flying rain machines, grr!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

plant willow trees, a traditional way to dry out wet ground as they need loads of water.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

willow trees are not much good in winter when they're not soaking up water - i suspect a more permanent solution woulrd be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭peadar76

as someone already pointed out, you need to install a drain between you and the flood. But this drain will need an outfall to somewhere.
    A deep open drain would take a fair amount of water but it would still ideally need to drain somewhere

Thanks, youve all pretty much confirmed what I thought. Ive nowhere for it to drain away to, so i guess ill have to work on persuading the farmer that he needs to do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Thanks, youve all pretty much confirmed what I thought. Ive nowhere for it to drain away to, so i guess ill have to work on persuading the farmer that he needs to do something.

If yo got some topsoil you could form a raised rim around your garden..
    Maybe 12 inches high and 18 inches wide.. Plant a hedge into the top and you would get a wind break too, maybe hornbeam would be good..

If it were well formed and compacted with a small 2 ton digger bucket it would do a good job at keeping out much of the water..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What sort of topography does your site have?
    If it drains away from that flooded section you could dig a trench and fill with stone and perforated pipe and direct the water away from where its lying.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    Why does the farmer need to do something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

That is not going to drain away anywhere. Buyer beware.... The best you can do is raise the level of your land above the height of the water so it disappears from view or use plants to cover it over. Plant a water garden or a load of alder who would love it there. it is not an issue for the farmer.

planting alder seems the best and easiest option as the water level could get higher in future due to the bigger deluges we appear to be getting now as normal weather.

I have no issues at all with the aesthetics of it, in fact its lovely to see all the birds enjoying it!

I was simply wondering if I put a drain in at the bottom of my garden would it stop my garden from flooding. Its appears that this is not going to happen, so problem sorted - don't need to waste my time digging!

I had thought about planting willow or alder but its such a lovely view id hate to spoil it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

frame it , not obscure it.

I've always thought that gardening was more a task of getting the planting right and working with the land, as opposed to imposing something alien onto it, unless of course you are capability Brown.
    I've heard before that there is no such thing as a piece of ground/garden that nothing will grow in, just that the right plants haven't been introduced yet and allowed to thrive, makes for lots of research and some trial and error though.

Advertisement