Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to split tunnel

Options
  • 22-05-2013 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

I have a computer with 1 network connection. I use an application to then connect to a VPN.

Once the application is validated it creates a second network connection for the VPN.

Is it possible for only VPN traffic to go through the VPN connection and all other traffic to go through my normal connection?

I thought the answer would be split DNS or split tunnelling. But I cannot Uncheck the "Use default gateway on remote network" box as it doesn't exist (as per this post)

Instead I get this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

What VPN software are you using. I use OpenVPN and with that unless you configure your network to route all traffic through the VPN, only VPN connections are routed through the VPN.

Everything still uses your single internet connection but the VPN traffic is encrypted and routed via the VPN server.

Typically if you have a central point and several remote locations you can set up a VPN server at the centre with VPN clients on the remote locations. The clients can then communicate with the centre through an encrypted tunnel.

With OpenVPN you can also configure client to client connectivity, which allows the clients to securely communicate with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

The VPN that I'm using is Juniper. All traffic seems to be routed through it. Unfortunately I cannot use another VPN client.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Presumably the Juniper box is on a corporate server and the client on a laptop/PC to allow remote connection to the corporate server.

If that is the case I would be very surprised if all traffic from the client machine was routed through the corporate server.

The corporate server would normally be blocking access to all sites inappropriate to corporate activity but not necessarily inappropriate to personal activity.

Even if the client machines were on remote corporate sites you wouldn't normally want all the remote sites non server traffic going through server site.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

It's probably done either for compliance or just by lazyness! Have you asked you IT dept?

Advertisement