Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision kills careers

Options
  • 22-05-2013 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Micky Joe, Chris Doren, Donna and Joe, Dustin the Turkey, Sinead Mulvey and Jedward have had their careers destroyed by going to Eurovision.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

For this, we should be thankful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

To be fair, none of them were very rated before they did it anyway.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What careers?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ted and Dougal too :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Anto Bean

Dustin is cool, It's a shame that he has been on the dole for 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Of that list, only Dustin really had a career... and he's a puppet, so that's saying a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

sok2005 wrote: »
    To be fair, none of them were very rated before they did it anyway.

Except Dustin. Dustin's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

how long do you think jedward could jump around like pogo sticks - aren't they in their 30's now. Somehow it just isn't the same. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

Anto Bean wrote: »
    Micky Joe, Chris Doren, Donna and Joe, Dustin the Turkey, Sinead Mulvey and Jedward have had their careers destroyed by going to Eurovision.

Anything that gets rid of those two intolerable little w4nkers can't be all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Joe's career is only getting started, he'll be Athlone's premier milkman in no time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

JD DABA wrote: »
    Anything that gets rid of those two intolerable little w4nkers can't be all bad.

who, Donna and Joe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭bacon n eggs

"My lovely horse, running through the fields"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

All big names in the bargain bin at golden discs I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well they can always make a career in Turkey like Twink, Linda Martin, Johnny Logan and the rest of the no talent mob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

who, Donna and Joe?

This travesty(cringe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

buyer95 wrote: »
    This travesty(cringe)

Absolutely disgusting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In fairness, besides Dustin, none of them had careers before they entered "You're a star" (the x factor for jedward) and none of them would have ever got past doing pantos without it.

I'd say, if anything, the likes The McCauls and Sinead Mulvey, have done far better for themselves because of Eurovision than they would have without it.

As for Jedward, they are just a gimmick and it was bound to die eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

ABBA won the Eurovision.
    The reason why most don't have careers after the Eurovision is that it's (at best) a triumph of mediocrity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

ABBA, Celine Dion, France Gall, Cliff Richard, Nana Mouskouri - these are people who's careers weren't ruined by Eurovision!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

ABBA, Celine Dion, France Gall, Cliff Richard, Nana Mouskouri - these are people who's careers weren't ruined by Eurovision!

Johnny Logan did well out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

ABBA - did well despite of Eurovision (possibly the exception to the rule).
    Celine Dion, Cliff Richard, Nana Mouskouri- already famous beforehand (they were entered as ringers).
    France Gall - never heard of him, her, it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

ABBA - did well despite of Eurovision (possibly the exception to the rule).
    Celine Dion, Cliff Richard, Nana Mouskouri- already famous beforehand (they were entered as ringers).
    France Gall - never heard of him, her, it.
    France Gall is famous in France.
    Whether they were famous before Eurovision is irrelevant, the question was whether Eurovision kills careers. They were all still famous after.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Linda Martin/Johnny Logan came from obscurity and is well known domestically at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I've been saying this for years, not just about Eurovision but any televised music context. With rare exceptions, Eurovision, The Voice, X Factor, American Idol, etc etc etc grant a musician some very short term fame, at the expense of potential lifelong respect. Nobody ever thinks of them as incredible musicians in their own right, people remember them as "oh I've heard of her, yeah I think she won the Voice at some stage maybe?"
    Leona Lewis is a prime example of this, she has an absolutely incredible voice and could have been an amazingly successful pop singer, but instead she is now associated with a gimmick and it seems to just make people lose interest.

I've been saying this for a long time, the best way to make it in the music business today is to go viral on Facebook or YouTube, and then once you're having millions and millions of hits because of people getting your stuff stuck in their head and retweeting it, wait for the record companies to come to you. Why? Because if you do that, you have the upper hand in negotiating a decent contract with them, they're the ones who desperately want you on their books. Entering a competition like Eurovision or whatever is turning this table around and going out and begging for recognition - and when you beg, you give the person you're negotiating with pretty much all of the leverage to dictate whatever they want. The number of stories I've heard about talented people winning competitions and then finding that the small print ties them to a horrific, blood sucking record deal is just unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Analysing some of them: We did not hear tell of Gary O'Shaughnessy, Mickey Joe Harte or Sinead Mulvey since. Chris Doran showed initial promise in the beginning and had 2 major hits after the Eurovision in late 2004 and a minor hit a few years after. However, he is currently in the news for a very different reason! Donna & Joe have come into the limelight again at the moment, but am unsure what that is.

Personally, I think the treatment by RTE of Jedward after last year was unfair. They were all over our screens in 2009, 2010, 2011 and up until May 2012 and not on since. This is more to do with RTE dropping them than to do with Jedward's popularity. In fairness, Jedward's 2011 entry was our best result since Brian Kennedy's in 2006.

As regards Eurovision killing careers: I wonder is this only in Ireland and only recently (I suspect it is). Where would Linda Martin, Johnny Logan or Dana be without it. It also helped songwriters like Brendan Graham, so definitely Eurovision was good for careers in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I've been saying this for years, not just about Eurovision but any televised music context. With rare exceptions, Eurovision, The Voice, X Factor, American Idol, etc etc etc grant a musician some very short term fame, at the expense of potential lifelong respect. Nobody ever thinks of them as incredible musicians in their own right, people remember them as "oh I've heard of her, yeah I think she won the Voice at some stage maybe?"
    Leona Lewis is a prime example of this, she has an absolutely incredible voice and could have been an amazingly successful pop singer, but instead she is now associated with a gimmick and it seems to just make people lose interest.

I've been saying this for a long time, the best way to make it in the music business today is to go viral on Facebook or YouTube, and then once you're having millions and millions of hits because of people getting your stuff stuck in their head and retweeting it, wait for the record companies to come to you. Why? Because if you do that, you have the upper hand in negotiating a decent contract with them, they're the ones who desperately want you on their books. Entering a competition like Eurovision or whatever is turning this table around and going out and begging for recognition - and when you beg, you give the person you're negotiating with pretty much all of the leverage to dictate whatever they want. The number of stories I've heard about talented people winning competitions and then finding that the small print ties them to a horrific, blood sucking record deal is just unbelievable.

This is interesting. Looking at the annual contests besides Eurovision (the X Factors, You are Stars, Pop Idol, Popstars and so on), you often notice these trends: the winner is soon forgotten and often those who may have come 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th do better.

I think it is because the nature of them. All hype is on from start date to finish date and once the person wins, then it goes off our screens. There are no promo shows on TV in the summer which is a bad thing and by September, the new series of the contest comes back on and the hype is on the new artists.

I think it is poor followup promotion on TV and radio that kills their careers (not the Eurovision or other contests). The complete absence of chat shows and the like over the summer months has a lot to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

kneemos wrote: »
    Linda Martin/Johnny Logan came from obscurity and is well known domestically at least.

Its an awful shame it didnt ruin Lina Martin's career then we wouldnt have had to be inflicted with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Lets not forget Dana. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Lulu, Sandy Shaw, Severine and Vicky Leandros, are not all washed up. But Dana, prancing around in her sensible two piece suit is giving old winners a bad name :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

As regards Eurovision killing careers: I wonder is this only in Ireland and only recently (I suspect it is). Where would Linda Martin, Johnny Logan or Dana be without it. It also helped songwriters like Brendan Graham, so definitely Eurovision was good for careers in the past.

From a financial perspective, sure.

But anyone who values their artistic integrity must realise that a dalliance with Eurovision will most likely result in a life on the cabaret circuit or serenading passengers aboard Cunard lines.

Perhaps Continental Europe has a higher tolerance for cheese, so artists there aren't tainted by the whole sorry fiasco to the same extent as UK or Irish acts.

Advertisement