Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3rd learner permit for new vehicle category

Options
  • 21-05-2013 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I can't seem to find a definite answer to my question anywhere which is why I'm posting it here if anyone can advise. I had a category B (car) 2nd learner permit which expired just over a year ago. I now want to get a learner permit for category A (motorbike). I have already sat & passed the theory test for the category A a few weeks ago. I was not intending to ask for my permit for category B to be renewed, I just want it for category A. So in this case, do I still need to apply for a car driving test (as this will be my 3rd learner permit), or is that not needed since this will be the first permit I will have that will be for category A? So do I just not select category B on the learner permit application form, and treat it as a first time application for category A, or should I tick the box for 'renewal' anyway? And if I do not request category B on the application form, then if I later decide to add category B back again (I was thinking of doing that in about a year or so), will I have to re-sit the category B theory test & do the EDT? I just cannot seem to find anywhere that deals with this particular issue of applying for a 3rd permit & adding a new vehicle category at the same time. Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

MONAGHANSG wrote: »
    Hi, I can't seem to find a definite answer to my question anywhere which is why I'm posting it here if anyone can advise. I had a category B (car) 2nd learner permit which expired just over a year ago. I now want to get a learner permit for category A (motorbike). I have already sat & passed the theory test for the category A a few weeks ago. I was not intending to ask for my permit for category B to be renewed, I just want it for category A. So in this case, do I still need to apply for a car driving test (as this will be my 3rd learner permit), or is that not needed since this will be the first permit I will have that will be for category A? So do I just not select category B on the learner permit application form, and treat it as a first time application for category A, or should I tick the box for 'renewal' anyway? And if I do not request category B on the application form, then if I later decide to add category B back again (I was thinking of doing that in about a year or so), will I have to re-sit the category B theory test & do the EDT? I just cannot seem to find anywhere that deals with this particular issue of applying for a 3rd permit & adding a new vehicle category at the same time. Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Really depends on what you want to spend now or in the future
    A. You can ignore Cat B and just get a Learner permit for A
    You'll have to hold it 6 months and do IBT
    When you come back to adding B they may insist on EDT

B. you can renew both now. You will have to apply for a car test but you can postpone that twice and by then you may be clearer on what you want

Hope this helps

Either way I would go to Motor Tax and speak with them as to how long they will let Cat B lapse before putting you back to start (normally 5 years) but check it out yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 17 surfdudette

In case anyone had same question, just an update: I was able to get a permit just for category A. I had to submit everything like I did for my very first permit (even my passport, although it should not have been needed as last permit was within last 5yrs, but I felt it was not worth the hassle of further to-and-fro). My new permit now only mentions category A. I spoke with motor tax office & I can get category B added to my current permit within 5yrs of my 2nd category B permit's expiry, but I have to have applied for a category B test before then. I will not apparently need to do a new theory test or EDT as long as I do that. Hopefully that will work out in reality. :)

Advertisement