Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL / Router - One Part is Malfunctioning Q

Options
  • 21-05-2013 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

I have an issue at the moment on my Zyxel modem/router (one of the Eircom ones), since Monday I cannot connect remotely to it, or rather I can but it drops the connection in 3-5 seconds. It was working perfectly for last 3 months. I have a fixed IP and that is correct, Port Foward rules haven't changed (if they were I couldn't connect for 3-5 secs) etc.

I can use the Internet etc etc when I am local, so it appears the unit is working, but as described above, certain parts are not, can this be the case?

I got on to Vodafone support, they tested the line, usual routine and it returned an error Red when I attached the modem/router, when modem/router was disconnected line tested OK

I've done the reset etc, but same issue. Does it appear the case that the ADSL modem part is working but the router part is malfunctioning? (I assume the Port forwarding is in the router part)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

If you try This first to see if your ports are actually open.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

I did try this (or a similar site) and it returned "open", then I tried it again and it returned "closed", which could be a repeat of what I'm experiencing with connecting for 3-5 secs

One Q on these sites, if you are Port Fowarding based on a Firewall rule, will it not always say its "closed"?

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Well what I have found for example is as follows:
    If you are forwarding port 21 for an FTP server on your PC
    If the FTP server is up and running AND the port is open then the port check site will work.
    But if either the Server is off or the port is closed then the port site will say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

Listen up folks.....

Changed the modem to another Zyxel. Same issue I could not connect to devices on the other side of the modem. Toggled the testing to see if the relevant Ports were open/closed. They were... they weren't... so that let me connect sometimes for 3 seconds

Then I decided "is it the Sure Signal" unit that is plugged in to my modem that is causing the issue (I use it to boost my 3g signal).. Bingo I started connecting again.

Anyone any idea why a device on the modem/router would stop the Ports from opening?

Advertisement