Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug In Bag

Options
  • 21-05-2013 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

For a first port of call in a storm / SHTF / emergency what would you have in a bag / box / crate for a bug in until you can get to your supplies
    Ive been toying with this idea for a while so far ive
    Head light
    Dust Mask
    Hammer & nails
    5lt water
    Bandanna
    Duct Tape
    Ballistic Goggles
    Knife / Multi tool

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

I always have a tarpaulin of some kind. One in each bug out bag, in both cars and several others near the bug in boxes which are so full of stuff I couldn't start to list them. If you add in a tarpaulin then you also need some rope/sting/parracord or bungee straps to make any sort of shelter out of it.

Another item in every box / bag / crate has to be someway of making fire, in most I'd have a cheap lighter and a box of matches plus a fire steel in some.

But I think the problem with the OP is that it doesn't really define what the bug in bag is for? To me a bug in bag is a lot more than a few items and I don't think that many people would be bugging in and not be near there supplies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

eirator wrote: »
    I always have a tarpaulin of some kind. One in each bug out bag, in both cars and several others near the bug in boxes which are so full of stuff I couldn't start to list them. If you add in a tarpaulin then you also need some rope/sting/parracord or bungee straps to make any sort of shelter out of it.

Another item in every box / bag / crate has to be someway of making fire, in most I'd have a cheap lighter and a box of matches plus a fire steel in some.

But I think the problem with the OP is that it doesn't really define what the bug in bag is for? To me a bug in bag is a lot more than a few items and I don't think that many people would be bugging in and not be near there supplies?
    A bug in bag is a first stop a little of everything that i may need in a hurry Like a head light if there was a power cut id need to see to go to my supplies
    I have heavy clear plastic cut to seal each window in the rest of my supplies plus the duct tape in case i have to seal windows vents and doors for whatever reason Dust mask for the same reason
    the idea of a small medium bug in bag is so you can put your hands on the basic first rather that going through a 200lt tube to find a head light

ShadowFox wrote: »
    A bug in bag is a first stop a little of everything that i may need in a hurry Like a head light if there was a power cut id need to see to go to my supplies
    I have heavy clear plastic cut to seal each window in the rest of my supplies plus the duct tape in case i have to seal windows vents and doors for whatever reason Dust mask for the same reason
    the idea of a small medium bug in bag is so you can put your hands on the basic first rather that going through a 200lt tube to find a head light

I see what you mean now, I'd have stuff arranged slightly differently but to the same ends. I have an everyday bag which is a mix of survival items I use or might use regularly plus stuff I use everyday, the contents are constantly evolving and the biggest problem I find with it is that I'm tending to duplicate its contents with other bags. When not out an about with it the rucksack hangs on a coat hook on the back door. Because I carry it around with me I tend to be ruthless over weight so some items that might be a good idea one week might be removed because they are too heavy.

Camera
    Small video camera
    Binoculars
    MP4 Player
    Sunglasses
    Waterproofs
    Work gloves (rubber coated)
    Fire making gear
    Half decent compass
    First Aid Kit
    Survival Blanket - in FAK
    Large survival tin
    Torch
    Parra cord
    Mobile phone (charged but turned off) in waterproof case.

Now I wouldn't really have a need for a Bug in Bag/Box as you describe it as all the items you describe are readily available around the house. Several rooms have oil lamps in them charged ready to go and headlamps and torches are near the back door. Its sort of like we bug in everyday. Living in the country and heating with wood immediately gives easy access to tools that a flat dweller in a town would have stored away.

Ive my every day carry bag which is hanging in the hall bug out bags are under the stairs I just want something thats for the house only as there is no point taking stuff from a bug out or edc bag forgetting to replace it and be stuck away from home without the main thing that you need

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

we keep this kit packed in a holdall near the front door..
    http://equipatrip.com/emergency-kit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

For a first port of call in a storm / SHTF / emergency what would you have in a bag / box / crate for a bug in until you can get to your supplies
    Ive been toying with this idea for a while so far ive
    Head light
    Dust Mask
    Hammer & nails
    5lt water
    Bandanna
    Duct Tape
    Ballistic Goggles
    Knife / Multi tool

Good call - what do you keep the water in? I have a plastic camping bottle for mine.

Also I've been told to have several methods for lighting fire so have matches, a few packs of lighters and a flint (which I've never used).

You know my thoughts, rather than have a bug in bag, have a bug in room/shed and stay put! :-)

silentrust wrote: »
    Good call - what do you keep the water in? I have a plastic camping bottle for mine.

Also I've been told to have several methods for lighting fire so have matches, a few packs of lighters and a flint (which I've never used).

You know my thoughts, rather than have a bug in bag, have a bug in room/shed and stay put! :-)

I think the OP is also on about having some key items ready for immediately use. So even in your bug out shed you could have a Bug in Bag with known contents in a specific location.

I think the OP is also on about having some key items ready for immediately use. So even in your bug out shed you could have a Bug in Bag with known contents in a specific location.

Certainly a good idea to have a Get Home Bag even if you do plan to make your last stand at your place.

Does anyone think a little cash might be an idea? Don't know how much good it would be but 100 wouldn't go amiss surely? :-)

Certainly a good idea to have a Get Home Bag even if you do plan to make your last stand at your place.

Does anyone think a little cash might be an idea? Don't know how much good it would be but 100 wouldn't go amiss surely? :-)

But also get it in mixed denominations a €100 note might not take up much room and be easy to carry but it might not be that much use if no one has change.

But also get it in mixed denominations a €100 note might not take up much room and be easy to carry but it might not be that much use if no one has change.

Good thinking, it was for this reason I suggested cash rather than a gold necklace or similar, you can break it down more easily...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

€100 notes ain't much good to you now, let alone when the SHTF. I got paid off a job a couple of months ago and he gave me a few €100 notes(real amount not mentioned due to revenue!!) I ended up having to go back to him and getting him to go to his bank and change them. One shop keeper asked me was I a drug dealer!!

€100 notes ain't much good to you now, let alone when the SHTF. I got paid off a job a couple of months ago and he gave me a few €100 notes(real amount not mentioned due to revenue!!) I ended up having to go back to him and getting him to go to his bank and change them. One shop keeper asked me was I a drug dealer!!

I hear you buddy, when I arrived in Ireland last year I had a travel wallet with a wad of around three grand's worth all in €100 as that's the kind the nice people at the foreign exchange gave me and I even remember thinking at the time - "Hm, how convenient, I will be able to fit them more easily in the wallet."

I arrive at the Airport and immediately buy a PAYG mobile and SIM Chip for €86.99 - hand over €100 note when vacant looking blond teenager walks over to her supervisor and says to him, "Keith, how can I be sure this is real?"

Of course real counterfeiters know that large denomination notes are subject to this kind of scrutiny and therefore focus on 10's and 20's. :-D

The idea for my bug in bag is a first stop for the real emergency items in the event of a power cut /SHTF / flood before i get to my supplies room/ stock or to help me get to them
    I just keep a general 5lt water bottle on the shoe rack under the stairs
    Im a smoker so always have a lighter or 2 at hand

Coin and small notes would be handy to have i wouldnt hold bigger than €10 notes
    Remember if SHTF who will get mugged at the shops (if you needed to go) someone taking out a wallet full of notes or someone counting out a load of coin

Coin and small notes would be handy to have i wouldnt hold bigger than €10 notes
    Remember if SHTF who will get mugged at the shops (if you needed to go) someone taking out a wallet full of notes or someone counting out a load of coin

But a load of coins in a good strong sock might come in handy then :D

sorry off topic :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Personally I'll be staying put, so we've done an in house emergency pack.
    Wardrobe in the guest bedroom:
    Reading glasses (6 sets)
    Flashlights (4)
    Wind up radio (2)
    Batteries (purchased by the case AAA, AA, C, D, 6V)
    Candles (tea lights)
    Glow sticks
    Fire steel (4)
    Disposable lighters
    Matches
    Portable gas cooker (2)
    Spare gas cannisters (12)
    Chafing gel (12)
    Over the counter medicine multiples:
    Cold sore cream, talc, eye drops, ibuprofen, imodium, solpadeine, Caffeine tablets, water purification tablets, paracetamol, aspirin, calamine lotion, sudocrem, TCP, after bite, antiseptic cream, worming tablets (pets).
    First aid kit
    Extra bandages
    Spare thermometer
    Assorted vitamins
    Toilet paper
    Baby wipes
    Anti-bacterial hand mousse
    Tooth brush (8)
    Tooth paste powder (6)
    Soap, shampoo etc
    Small selection of good books
    Hardback copy books & pens
    Assorted tins/packets of food (60 days, stock rotation keeps the dates good)
    Swiss army knives (2)
    5 Lt. bottles of water (4 per person)
    Water purifier kit pump
    Rope
    String
    Small sewing kit
    Jerry cans
    Tool box & tools
    Sleeping bags (4)
    Emergency Blankets (6)
    Pet food (6 weeks)
    Marine flares (6)
    Primary knives (4)
    Secondary knives (6)
    Pockets knives (6)
    Pocket saw (4)
    Hatchet (2)
    Fishing kit & crab lines (3)
    Irish whiskey 375ml bottles (6)
    Vacuum sealed:
    Tobacco and cigarette rolling supplies
    Hard candy (1 kg)
    Tea & Coffee
    Salt & Pepper
    Sugar
    Assorted spices

It's not quite there, but we're still working on it.
    Pound shops are great for the small items, some of the smaller cash & carrys will do a deal for cases of tinned food & household goods. Chemistdirect.co.uk is a great place to purchase over the counter meds, the delivery can be steep but the choice is worth it & you save in the long run.

Advertisement