Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study Technique?

Options
  • 21-05-2013 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hello all! As the leaving cert is hovering towards us at an exceptional rate, it is no lie that my life feels like its about to be crushed by an almighty meteor! Started properly studying there last week and I'm quite happy with how it's going but I have a few questions about my technique:

1) I decided to go against the idea of running through my notes and writing out smaller notes like everyone else seems to be doing. Instead, I go through textbooks and read them out loud. For example, I would read a chapter in my Chemistry Live book, ask myself questions on the chapter and then, orally, go through all the exam paper questions, checking my answers with the marking schemes. Does this seem okay? Or is it too risky and possible that i'll forget all the information by the 5th - 18th?

2) I find it very difficult to covet absolutely everything in History in regards to the textbook. Would relying on "Less Stress More Success" be adequate enough or, again, too risky?

I know it's long but bare with me. Also, good luck to all my fellow Leaving Certians, hope ye all get your A's :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

To be honest OP everyone has their own way of studying so if this is what works for you then go with it. When I was doing the Leaving Cert I never wrote out notes, it was just a complete waste of time for me as in I didn't really get anything out of it. I often found that repeating things out loud or in my head was a good way for me to remember things, especially for the languages. I would recommend that you test yourself though like be able to repeat the important bits without looking at the book to make sure you know it properly. But really if your method is working for you now then I wouldn't change it. I actually hated having to write out answers to the exam papers for homework for subjects like biology as I felt it was pointless writing the whole thing out and that I would be better off just learning it my own way. Good luck with your exams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

For history what helps is reading the text book topic and then going to study from the revise wise, i find extra bits from reading the text book come out that way when you are writing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

I'm not even going near the book just doing exam papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

I wouldn't spend much time on the books but more on the exam papers really. The layout is always the same unless notified, the questions are really repetitive like in English. The Unseen poetry will always have a Personal Response question, in Maths, you will have Geometry or Proofs on Q6's. The questions are the same really, just a different content that's all.

Advertisement