Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I need some advice!

Options
  • 21-05-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi

Me and my friends go to the Tesco in Tramore every lunch time more or less except on fridays. The services in Tesco and staff there are one of the best ive ever seen but on thursday me and a group of friends, 5 of us to be exact went to tesco as usual and did our shopping on our way out one of us gathered the extra change we had left and went back inside to buy one more thing so we waited for him outside. Two minutes later a security guard whom we have never seen before came outside right past us, about a minute later he came back and started shouting at us to leave in a very rude tone and we were not even in tesco. One of us walked over to him and told him that we were just waiting for a friend and he kept on shouting at us. We told him that as soon as our friend comes out we will leave but he wouldnt have it and so we refused to move. He then threatened to ban us the following day if we don't move and we still didn't move. He then says to us that we are not allowed in tesco the following day.

Come the following day friday we did not go to tesco. On saturday e few of us went to tesco with our families there was no problem. On monday we arrived at tesco and as the security guard saw us coming he barred the way and said we are not allowed in tesco. We tried several times to reason with him but he wouldnt listen. We asked to speak with the manager and our request was denied in order to avoid a scene we didnt enter and when we tried to give our money to our other friends to buy our lunch he told them that if they took our money and bought anything in tesco they are banned and as a result no one took our money bar one person who bought lunch for a member of our banned group and he was banned on the spot for purchasing lunch for him.

Today we went to tesco and no one stopped us going in and so we went in, as we were purchasing our lunch he came out of no where with another security guard. He simply told the other security guard that we were banned and refused to tell him why. Once again we tried to reason with him and he refused and so we went over to the other security guard and explained the situation to him. He told us that he cant do anything as he wasnt there and the security guard who banned us made a great scene in tesco.

Last month a different security guard told us to move but he walked up to us and explained to us why we should move and we told him that we were waiting for someone and as soon as he comes out of tesco we wont hang around. He didnt pester us he just simply said fair enough and walked away and sure enough after our friend came out we left.

Ok having said that today the security guard who banned us goes to three of the five people in our group that they can enter tesco but that the other two are not allowed in tesco. He also told them that if they bought anything for the other two they will be banned he went on further saying he will get the guards to arrest us if we ever enter tesco again. Now I am confused as to why five people where banned, three of them were left off for no apparent reason. We were never given a formal paper saying we are banned from tesco and we have never shoplifted, insulted in any way, shape or form or be rude to tesco, its staff and infact any other shop in tramore. We have had no dealings with the police or have any criminal record whatsover so I am confused now as to why I was banned for nothing as I did not break any tesco rules. I know he is doing his job and all but I just want to be left alone to do my shopping without anyone bothering me and what happens if I come with my parents to tesco and he says I am banned??

Any advice pls will be really helpfull. Thanks in advance and thank you for your time.

Regards
    Informaniac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tbh I couldn't finish that wall of text. Can you edit and put in some paragraphs?

But to answer: speak to the shop manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Informaniac

@biko I'm so sorry for not putting the paragraph and I have edited it and put in some paragraphs but to reply to your comment we have tried but he refused to let us in to speak to the manager. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

@biko I'm so sorry for not putting the paragraph and I have edited it and put in some paragraphs but to reply to your comment we have tried but he refused to let us in to speak to the manager. :confused:
    Get a parent or guardian to go with you to the store and ask to see the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭sidcon

Ring the manager from your mobile when at the front of the shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The only solution here is to go to the store with a parent and ask to speak with the manager and the security man. That will soon sort the issue out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

On the face of it, providing you're telling us the whole story, it sounds like this Security Guard is the type who took the job so he could wear the badge.
    As Ken said, go in with your Patent/s and ask to speak to the Manager (perhaps ring ahead to make sure they're there first) as they may take more notice if an older person speaks up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Or write a letter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

ken wrote: »
    Get a parent or guardian to go with you to the store and ask to see the manager.

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

This.

If parents start threatening to move business elsewhere, the manager will listen.

If five families move their business elsewhere, Tesco could be down €1,000 or more per week.

I'm sure that your local Tesco could easily sustain that level of loss of business, but the fact of several parents making a concerted effort to contact the manager would make him sit up and listen.

I just want to take a moment to thank all of you who replied.
    I have considered going to speak to the manager and ringing the manager but I don't have his number and the security guard in question wont point out the manager to me. I mean I dont want to bother the manager and the nature of my parents work means both my parents work till late and the last thing I want is to be disturbing them in their little hours of rest they have so would going to tesco with an adult sort this issue out? How do I get the address to direct the letter to?

@washiskin I am telling the truth I know it sounds unbelievable even to me but its the absolute truth. I was also as shocked when I was told I was banned.At the end of the day its just my word against the security guards and tesco will probably believe him over us as the people who witnessed it were just my other friends who were not banned with us and also I thought if you did something wrong in tesco they usually inform the guards straight away and besides there are cameras in tesco that will prove we didnt do anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

If you're sending them a letter just address it to

Store Manager

Then the address of the store, just outline what happened and be courteous and thank him for his time that you'd appreciate a response to sort out the misunderstanding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

The fact he won't point out the Manager sounds to me like he thinks he's king of his own little anthill. For what it's worth the Managers picture & name is usually on the wall behind the Customer Service desk.

It's considerate of you not wanting to bother your folks but in all honesty, as The Mustard said, if families are threatening to take business elsewhere the Manager will at least listen.

Has there been any formal complaint to your school about this? (I'm assuming you're in school :confused: )

You said some of you were there Saturday with your families, so they must shop there. Have some of the adults raise it when shopping this week; it will be quicker than writing and will clarify the position must better than corresponding back and forth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

What reason was given for asking you to move one?

Was theft ever mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The store number is 051 330558

There's a picture and the name of the manager behind the customer service desk.

There is a problem with kids hanging around that store and the Lidl across the road, but that doesn't mean everyone should get tarred with the same brush, to me gangs of kids are less harmful than the idiots that park in the porch of that shop.

I thought when you got barred the store had to give you the details of why in writing, maybe this is just for more serious things... or maybe the security guard is making up rules.

Just write a quick note addressed to the manager out lining in bullet form what happened and ask for a call back.

Did the security guard have a white shirt or a blue shirt, (some are contract security)

If you'd prefer to bypass the store, contact here:
    Tesco Customer Services
    Telephone 1850 744 844

8am to 6pm Monday to Saturday

9am to 4pm Sunday

Email: customer.services@tesco.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I have considered going to speak to the manager and ringing the manager but I don't have his number and the security guard in question wont point out the manager to me. I mean I dont want to bother the manager

Look, the only way this is going to get resolved is by bothering the manager (in a nice way of course). I also would suspect that the security guard simply can't ban people off his own bat. Next time, your parents are in shopping, go find the manager and speak with him/her.

There has been no formal complaint to my school from Tesco but I have informed my school authorities and as it turns out I am not the only one complaining about this new security guard.

Will you just tell your parents and let your mates d likewise! Otherwise you're going around in circles with this. As a consumer issue it can only be sorted by adults discussing it and getting to the bottom of it.

What reason was given for asking you to move one?

Was theft ever mentioned?

@ LowKeyReturn there was no mention of anything he just said we were all banned from shopping at tesco and we most definitely did not steal anything. He was rude the way he spoke to us and he shouted at us to move without giving a single reason why we should move even after we told him that we were waiting for a friend whom he saw left our group to go back into tesco to buy something.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    The store number is 051 330558

There's a picture and the name of the manager behind the customer service desk.

There is a problem with kids hanging around that store and the Lidl across the road, but that doesn't mean everyone should get tarred with the same brush, to me gangs of kids are less harmful than the idiots that park in the porch of that shop.

I thought when you got barred the store had to give you the details of why in writing, maybe this is just for more serious things... or maybe the security guard is making up rules.

Just write a quick note addressed to the manager out lining in bullet form what happened and ask for a call back.

Did the security guard have a white shirt or a blue shirt, (some are contract security)

If you'd prefer to bypass the store, contact here:

@wmpdd3 I spoke to him today and he wont even let me talk then I kindly asked him to let me finish my sentence at that I told him to give me a contact number for the manager and he refused. I also asked him to let me in to go talk to customer service which he also refused.
    I asked to speak with the manager and he told me to comeback tomorrow that the manager had a day off today. I have contacted the local police and spoken with my parents they have both asked me not to talk to the security guard anymore to avoid further harasments and threats but to go straight to the Manager and resolve the issue, my parents are free this weekend and if it is not resolved then they will come in themselves on sunday to do shopping as usual.

I see a bunch of teenagers some of whom i know hanging around tesco and lidl but I have never heard any of them getting banned. Me personally I have never hung around tesco unless when I am waiting for someone who is inside I have better ways to spend my time with the exams looming ahead and all.

The security guard had a white T-shirt on.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭gowley

I just want to take a moment to thank all of you who replied.
    I have considered going to speak to the manager and ringing the manager but I don't have his number and the security guard in question wont point out the manager to me. I mean I dont want to bother the manager and the nature of my parents work means both my parents work till late and the last thing I want is to be disturbing them in their little hours of rest they have so would going to tesco with an adult sort this issue out? How do I get the address to direct the letter to?

@washiskin I am telling the truth I know it sounds unbelievable even to me but its the absolute truth. I was also as shocked when I was told I was banned.At the end of the day its just my word against the security guards and tesco will probably believe him over us as the people who witnessed it were just my other friends who were not banned with us and also I thought if you did something wrong in tesco they usually inform the guards straight away and besides there are cameras in tesco that will prove we didnt do anything wrong.

how do you get the address????? i would imagine the address is tesco , tramore , county waterford. you seem to have an excuse to all the answers given to you. bloody hell its not that hard to get the phone number if you wanted. cant believe you dont know how to get an address. i presume you know how to use the internet if you can post here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Another idea, Being of school going age I'd imagine your on facebook and twitter. Go on the tesco Ireland official pages and complain there.

• Advertisement

For crying out loud! Just let Mammy sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't see why some of you are being so harsh.

He's a kid, ffs. I'd freak the fcuk out and not know what to do if it happened to me when I was a kid, and I'd be bloody scared of the consequences, even if I'd done nothing wrong. Nobody likes brushes with authority when they're innocent, and we as adults have the maturity to deal with it, but not all kids have. Jesus.

OP, make sure you go back in with your parents and let THEM do the talking. I'd also google an address for a head office (if they have an Irish one?) and send a complaint to them in writing. That sort of behaviour from the security guard (provided you're being 100% honest) is completely out of order.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tesco HQ in Ireland is in Dun Laoghaire. I forget the exact address, but a google should find it. I think it's on Royal Marine Road.

OP - you really have to go in, preferably with your parents as you're possibly a minor, and speak to the manager. Now is not the time to be a shy retiring daisy.

Thanks everyone for your advice, time and patients. It has been sorted, I went in with my parents and one of their friend who also was complaining about the particular security guard and I am now free to shop in tesco without any hassle....oh sorry for the late post kinda got side tracked with the exam and all. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 goonhockrock

I know the guy your on about. Used to work in Poleberry. Big guy. The ex and myself used to watch him follow kids around the shop plenty of times when we were in there. We used to laugh at how he used to peer around corners like Beverly Hills Cop or something and how he was probably a failed cop. He'd make anyone paranoid. I have felt this way before about this guy back in Poleberry, but i used to just laugh. Go in with a parent and complain. He probably left the other place because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Go in with a parent and complain. He probably left the other place because of it.

You didn't read the whole thread did you? Post above yours, he said he got sorted. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 goonhockrock

Soundman wrote: »
    You didn't read the whole thread did you? Post above yours, he said he got sorted. ;)
    Sound job Soundman

Advertisement