Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannot RDP to server over Home Network

Options
  • 21-05-2013 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

UPC recently upgrade me to the 50MB and sent me a new router. I now cannot rdp to the server, nothing has changed, the server drive is still mapped to my PC and I can r/w to it.

The server is connected to the router via the lan cable, IP address looks fine, server name etc....its wrecking my head!!

Router is Technicolor TC7200

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is this internally or externally?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Internal,

some investigation suggests a graphics card issue, I find it a bit coincidental though

The drive is mapped but I cannot ping the machine....what the hell is going on?

there is no firewall on the server!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm a bit confused here. You mention RDP, then refer to mapped drives instead. Which is it?

Both,

the server drive is mapped to my machine and I rdp to it.

I can ping the server from the router.

Looks like its something with the router.

Anyone know anything about the tecnicolor routers??

EDIT**On to UPC, appears to be a problem with the router, the old Ciso routers would let you do this but not the current ones

They have raised it with their technical support, they are going to reply in 24 hours. supposdly doesnt allow port forwarding either

If they wont change the settings (which will reuqire a firmware update) I am going to have to revert to the old Cisco router (2425 if I remember correctly) and downgrade to 30mb.

Seems all a bit mad to be honest.

Anyone else have issues with the new tecnicolors??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Is one connected via cable, and the others via wifi? These are 2 seperate networks, you will need to reconfigure the router I think.

Just apply the same settings to the new router as you had on the old one. Are you using dhcp or static ip on the server?

Gator wrote: »
    Both,

the server drive is mapped to my machine and I rdp to it.

I can ping the server from the router.

Looks like its something with the router.

Anyone know anything about the tecnicolor routers??

RDP is different from CIFS/SMB based fileshares though.

Is client isolation turned for the Wifi clients?

MIght be worth warning other users who upgrade or switch to UPC and use this functionality
    On to UPC, appears to be a problem with the router, the old Ciso routers would let you do this but not the current ones

They have raised it with their technical support, they are going to reply in 24 hours. supposdly doesnt allow port forwarding either

If they wont change the settings (which will reuqire a firmware update) I am going to have to revert to the old Cisco router (2425 if I remember correctly) and downgrade to 30mb.

Seems all a bit mad to be honest.

Anyone else have issues with the new tecnicolors??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

OK so I'm only suggesting this as I've seen it a couple of times where the router is actually routing the data that should stay on the switch side of it. If you have your PC and server on different networks by mistake (I've done it so know it can happen) in some circumstances you can still get some connectivity but also have weird otherwise unexplained issues. So while I'm sure they are all correct just go and double check all your IP address and subnet masks, the sort of thing I have seen is a 192.168.xxx.xxx network with a server with a 255.255.000.000 subnet mask instead of 255.255.255.000.

Or is it possible you have a fixed IP address somewhere on your network and the new router is handy out IP addresses in a different range OR you now have 2 DHCP servers going without realizing it?

@ Eirator

Nothng has changed on the network other than the router.

All ips are static and the router has no problem with any of the devices.

All devices can see share drives etc, its just with RDP.

UPC have a had a few people raise and have acknowledged it is an issue with the router, it also doesnt do bridging!!

As there is not many people doing this on their home network I would imagine a fix will not happen.

As the server is connected via the lan I can put a wireless card and connect to it directly, I should not have to resort to this but I dont have a choice.

Hopefully UPC will see the error of their way and release a fix (hmmmm)

• Advertisement

I suspect its a win server listening on the RDP port 3389.

Use the following link to see if the port is indeed open on your network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

OP from what I have read am I right in saying all the problems are on the Lan side of the router?

If that's the case can you plug all your clients into a switch (use the switch side of your old router?) and the switch into the Lan side of the new router (might need Xover cable but doubt it)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Start with the basics.
    You can ping the server from the router
    You can map the servers drive from your PC.

Is the server and the PC on the same internal LAN?
    Is the RDP port open, is RDP services running on both machines?

I'm confused with UPC issue. Why would new cisco SOHO devices block internal RDP? It's still quite common and essential to alot of business/homes.

I don't think UPC release firmware up date for Cisco equipment. You'll be waiting on Cisco.

Run through the basics again. Never underestimate how large head ache could be caused by a minute problem.

Nabber wrote: »
    Start with the basics.
    You can ping the server from the router
    You can map the servers drive from your PC.

Is the server and the PC on the same internal LAN?
    Is the RDP port open, is RDP services running on both machines?

I'm confused with UPC issue. Why would new cisco SOHO devices block internal RDP? It's still quite common and essential to alot of business/homes.

I don't think UPC release firmware up date for Cisco equipment. You'll be waiting on Cisco.

Run through the basics again. Never underestimate how large head ache could be caused by a minute problem.

Cheers Nabber,

You should check out the posts in the UPC forum, theres a petition running aswell. The router has been completely locked down by UPC.

I can RDp over ssh now, pain in the hole, nothing wrong with the network, just the router

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Gator wrote: »
    supposdly doesnt allow port forwarding either

Hey, I'm really trying to work out what this piece of crap supports. Is port forwarding not working for you at all, or only for some ports? Did UPC say it wasnt supported?

Check out here

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056953267

Shes a real beaut thanks to UPC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Take a packet capture with wireshark both on the client and the server to see what is or is not getting through to the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm intrigued as to how the hell they managed to get something as basic as "not interfere with traffic using device as a switch" wrong

Advertisement