Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Languages for leaving cert?

Options
  • 21-05-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,
    Im in 3rd year now but I am wondering about leaving cert.
    I have a few questions regarding languages.
    1)what languages am I able to do for my leaving cert that are part of the course?
    2)can I do a different language even if it is not done in my school(study it in my own time) e.g my school does french but I want to do german
    3)I read that you can do a different EU language if you can speak it even though its not one of the languages available on the course.is this true?and how does it work?
    Thank You :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

1= There's a huge range of languages to choose from like Russian and Chinese
    2= Yes you can do it outside school and you'll have to do it in a different exam center but if you don't have the knowledge of German for Higher Junior cert level there is no point of taking it up for the leaving cert, stick with the French.
    3= If its not available on the leaving cert course its not on the available on the leaving cert course

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't think Chinese is in yet - it's suggested for the new JC.

Russian and Japanese and Arabic are the curricular languages available and exams in all the main EU languages are available to native speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

mossy95 wrote: »
    1= There's a huge range of languages to choose from like Russian and Chinese

Off the top of my head Spanish, Italian, French, German, Japanese and Russian. Probably a couple more. There's no Chinese exam yet though. Russian and Japanese are the only two that are leaving cert only courses, so the rest will be the standard of LC French, Russian and Japanese are a lower standard. There's also Latin, Arabic and Ancient Greek, I think.
    2= Yes you can do it outside school and you'll have to do it in a different exam center but if you don't have the knowledge of German for Higher Junior cert level there is no point of taking it up for the leaving cert, stick with the French.

You don't have to change exam center, the oral examiner will come to your school and you'll sit the paper in your school. In my experience at least. I've never heard of anybody having to change exam center.
    3= If its not available on the leaving cert course its not on the available on the leaving cert course

The OP is talking about the recognition of another EU language you might speak. As far as I know you're not allowed to take the subject unless it's your native tongue or something, but I've also heard otherwise and I know a girl who took Russian and Bulgarian or something, so I doubt you have to prove you were born in the country or something to sit it (because obviously she wasn't born in both countries).

The list is massive, some of the papers only have a couple of people sitting them, but all the major European languages are included. Polish, Swedish, Dutch, Portuguese etc etc. I don't know if you can take them or not anyway, but the papers are designed for native speakers. They're not really 'proper' papers, like the common LC ones. They usually consist of real newspaper articles and proper native content, in other words they're more difficult than French, German, Spanish etc. So even if you could sit the exam, it'd be tough going to reach such a level in a couple of years whilst studying for your leaving cert as well.

I think Hebrew is one as well, but I'm not sure which category that falls under.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mossy95

Off the top of my head Spanish, Italian, French, German, Japanese and Russian. Probably a couple more. .
    Yeah I knew those courses were on offer didn't mention them cause I was sure the OP already knew. Just mentioning Russian and (meant Japanese) to show the range of languages on the leaving cert.

The OP is talking about the recognition of another EU language you might speak. As far as I know you're not allowed to take the subject unless it's your native tongue or something, but I've also heard otherwise and I know a girl who took Russian and Bulgarian or something, so I doubt you have to prove you were born in the country or something to sit it (because obviously she wasn't born in both countries).
    The only two languages you can take the leaving cert are in English and Irish, you cant take for example Business in Russian if its your native tongue only English and Irish.The OP was also asking if you could do a EU language that is not on the course as a subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

The only two languages you can take the leaving cert are in English and Irish, you cant take for example Business in Russian if its your native tongue only English and Irish.

I didn't imply otherwise?
    The OP was also asking if you could do a EU language that is not on the course as a subject.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about here;

The list is massive, some of the papers only have a couple of people sitting them, but all the major European languages are included. Polish, Swedish, Dutch, Portuguese etc etc. I don't know if you can take them or not anyway, but the papers are designed for native speakers. They're not really 'proper' papers, like the common LC ones. They usually consist of real newspaper articles and proper native content, in other words they're more difficult than French, German, Spanish etc.

When I said Subject I meant for example, an exam paper on the Polish language, not a subject like business through Polish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Leopard_Star

thanks everyone :)

The list is massive, some of the papers only have a couple of people sitting them, but all the major European languages are included. Polish, Swedish, Dutch, Portuguese etc etc. I don't know if you can take them or not anyway, but the papers are designed for native speakers. They're not really 'proper' papers, like the common LC ones. They usually consist of real newspaper articles and proper native content, in other words they're more difficult than French, German, Spanish etc. So even if you could sit the exam, it'd be tough going to reach such a level in a couple of years whilst studying for your leaving cert as well.

I think Hebrew is one as well, but I'm not sure which category that falls under.

Yes I looked at some past exams and it is really not a proper test,only something to take for extra points or if a person wants to go there.Its in my native language yet I found it impossible to answer the questions.I know the language not and how to spell(well usually) not proper grammar
    I guess I can cross that off my list of LC subjects I could take.

Yes,that's true i think ill stick with french I just thought German sounds much cooler,but I was also considering Russian.The exam looked quite hard in some sections but was really easy in others.I can speak and understand the language ok.I can read but very slowly,I cannot spell or write at all though and many words have to be refreshed in my head or learned from the start as I can only speak common communicative language not hard words.If i buy some books and get help and learn online I might be able to take the test,I don't know

Advertisement