Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading out on the Dublin scene on your own

Options
  • 21-05-2013 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

So it looks like I'll be doing this Saturday night as I'll be up in Dublin for LDR's gig.
    Anyway, I have no problem going out on my own and have done many a time in Galway, Limerick, Cork, etc.. but I am wondering are they more strict in Dublin?
    The reason I ask is because last year I was at Wildes with a group of friends but the bouncers at the door seemed to be asking everyone were they part of a group and turning away guys who were on their own. I found this a bit odd and sad as lots of gay men head out on their own...you can't always find friends who will go with you!
    Anyway, is the George and Dragon like this too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

That's a bit odd! No the bouncers aren't like that at the George or Dragon. They might, however, refuse you for looking too straight :rolleyes: So make sure you wear your lady gaga tshirt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mackD

That's a bit odd! No the bouncers aren't like that at the George or Dragon. They might, however, refuse you for looking too straight :rolleyes: So make sure you wear your lady gaga tshirt :pac:

I only have a Kylie one so hopefully that will do, haha.
    Thanks for responding.
    Which out of the two clubs would be better on a saturday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cx85

I dont think you should have any issues being on your own. As for clubs though maybe check out Mother? I am not the most outgoing of people on a night out but have got chattin to a good few people while out there

cx85 wrote: »
    I dont think you should have any issues being on your own. As for clubs though maybe check out Mother? I am not the most outgoing of people on a night out but have got chattin to a good few people while out there

I never heard of that place but just looked it up there. It seems interesting!
    Thanks.
    Damn so now I have three options to narrow down, haha.

mackD wrote: »
    I only have a Kylie one so hopefully that will do, haha.
    Thanks for responding.
    Which out of the two clubs would be better on a saturday night?

Personally, I'd say the George. There's kareoke on early and then dancing and it's usually good craic! Music in both George and Dragon will be chart music; Mother is non-chart music but mostly okish->good dance music IMO and not as big a crowd.

I've only been to Mother twice but actually had the opposite experience to the other poster here - didn't get chatting to anybody despite my best smile :D :pac: I find the George is better for meeting people although any (gay) club in Dublin can be hit and miss for that - sometimes you have great nights where you meet lots of cool people, sometimes it seems like everybody wants to stay in their cliques.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Myself and herself and a few friends went to Mother on Saturday night, was a lot smaller than I thought it would be! The music was a bit of a let down, we aren't ones for mainstream music at the best of times but the dance music was kinda poor tbh.

People were chatty tho, but the place was absolutely packed.

If I had the choice again it would be the G or dragon.

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Myself and herself and a few friends went to Mother on Saturday night, was a lot smaller than I thought it would be! The music was a bit of a let down, we aren't ones for mainstream music at the best of times but the dance music was kinda poor tbh.

Yeah I was looking forward to night of just good beats and dance music but it was pretty boring music to be honest. Cheesy pop or chart music would be better than that IMO.

It's also a very small venue alright, yep.

That's it exactly, quite boring music.

Wife is the one who loves to dance her socks off but stayed on jacket duty most the night!

Gimme cheesy tunes any night over bad dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Soldering_Iorn

RiseToMe wrote: »
    That's it exactly, quite boring music.

Wife is the one who loves to dance her socks off but stayed on jacket duty most the night!

Gimme cheesy tunes any night over bad dance.

You mean house'y boring or...?

I'd never heard of Mother before, google'd it and it came up on yelp.

By the sound of those reviews, I'M GOIN'! :D

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/mother-dublin

It stays open till 4am?!

All clubs down here close at 2.30am sharp. I thought Dublin would be the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manic mailman

DEM REVIEWS.

Next time I'm out on the town.

It felt to me like they played the same boring song over and over again. I like house, dance, funk, soul beats etc. and to me the music wasn't great. Maybe the DJ was just poor the nights I went because I have heard from others that the music is cool but I didn't think it was great.

It felt to me like they played the same boring song over and over again. I like house, dance, funk, soul beats etc. and to me the music wasn't great. Maybe the DJ was just poor the nights I went because I have heard from others that the music is cool but I didn't think it was great.

Either way, I'll be sure to give it a try!

I'm not a lover of chart music whatsoever, so somewhere 'gay' with anything and everything but intrigues me! :D

Never been to the Mother club (or any gay night in Dublin, apart from one trip to WAR three years ago!) but DJs from Mother were playing on the last night of Electric Picnic in the Body & Soul area last year. It may have been the chronic sleep deprivation and/or the alcohol in my system clouding my judgement but I thought the music they were playing was quality. It was just really good electronic dance music that really fitted the mood, had no idea they were from a gay bar at all.

I always long for a gay night that isn't just loaded with cheesy pop/chart and nothing else. Sadly such nights seem really hard to find. :(

I always long for a gay night that isn't just loaded with cheesy pop/chart and nothing else. Sadly such nights seem really hard to find. :(

...but if you do, be sure to post! :)

I live in the UK at the moment so even if I do I'm not sure it'd be much use to you! :p Was in Poptastic in Manchester once and they had two separate rooms; one playing the usual chart/cheese and another that played alternative music; "Killing In The Name" may be a bit of a cliche on "straight" nights out but it was refreshing to hear it in a club where I could also score a guy and not get weird looks! :D (which did happen that night, thank you very much!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Mother's music really depends on the DJ playing. They seem to differ week to week. Some weeks it is great (lots of funky/house music with synthesizer type 80s remixes) and other weeks just boring unfamiliar non descript music. Sounds like some of you got the bad Saturday. Generally it is good though so worth checking out and I find it easier somehow to strike up conversations with strangers there than in the other venues.

Dragon can be fun as well. You have an upstairs dance floor that is a little mellower. It can get quite cruisey especially along the railings upstairs (which can be a pro or con depending). Also, you'd be surprised the number of guys you get to meet when dancing by yourself on the dancefloor!:P

I believe the Front Lounge stays open til after 2am on Fri/Sat too and usually plays more mainstream chart music with golden oldies so that would be another option.

PS, I'm appalled that Wilde would turn away someone just because they were on their own. I've little sympathy for it's demise on hearing that sort of behaviour!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Bring back the POD (and HAM) on Friday nights!!! Best music, best crowd, best fun....the memories!

Well we love dance music and clubbing. one of the best weekends this year was may bank holiday weekend at Optimo for both the all day in the Bernard Shaw and all night in the twisted pepper.

Maybe the on Saturday it was the Dj that was playing but it has put me off setting foot in there again. If it was a case that it was the only place I go afte a night out, I'd head on home.

On Saturday night we left early because it got impossible to stick the boredom any longer when it became apparent the music was not gonna improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Been to Mother a couple of times and it was always a good night out. Not cheap though, but ah well, gayland is expensive.

Panti is always good for pre-drinks, so to speak. Good mixed crowd, music usually good, throwing in some cheese. Though last Friday it looked like Jurassic Park had moved there :eek:

Haven't been to Dragon in more than a year, not planning to go. Hate the place. But I went last weekend to the G. Surprised I had a good night there :D as it's not really my place.

But, the Workmans is proving to be a good spot :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭cabaret

Think this might be me heading off on my lonesome tomorrow night! Need to let my hair down and my straight mates aren't interested in hitting the gay bars, they're on their own pulling mission in the straight bars....any advice guys???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

cabaret wrote: »
    Think this might be me heading off on my lonesome tomorrow night! Need to let my hair down and my straight mates aren't interested in hitting the gay bars, they're on their own pulling mission in the straight bars....any advice guys???

No, but I find dancing on an empty dance floor and it filling up around you to be really empowering.

Until it's so full that everyone's pushing you off so they can dance with other people. :(

I'd like to go out in Dublin for Pride on Friday night but I'm not sure as I'd be on my own:s
    Should I just go for it?

I'd like to go out in Dublin for Pride on Friday night but I'm not sure as I'd be on my own:s
    Should I just go for it?

Dude there'll be SO many people out tonight you'll meet people to hang out with. Be grand! Go for it!

Dude there'll be SO many people out tonight you'll meet people to hang out with. Be grand! Go for it!

cheers:)
    would you think the dragon or george would be better tonight?

cheers:)
    would you think the dragon or george would be better tonight?

Assuming you're a guy? Either is good for guys I think! I've never been to the new night at the George on Fridays, it's called Glitterbomb and looks like good fun! Ya can't go wrong with the George.

If you - or anyone else! - are around tomorrow night and don't feel like going alone me and my friends will be at George!

Assuming you're a guy? Either is good for guys I think! I've never been to the new night at the George on Fridays, it's called Glitterbomb and looks like good fun! Ya can't go wrong with the George.

If you - or anyone else! - are around tomorrow night and don't feel like going alone me and my friends will be at George!

Thanks for the kind offer, alas I'm only in Dublin for tonight.
    Speaking of which, in the dragon right now and feel like a right lemon lol...prob should have taken your advice and picked the George instead:p

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

This has been sort of going through my head. Very tempted to, and not going to meet anyone just sitting at home these days. Anyone got anymore experience/advice on heading out on your lonesome?

Ash885 wrote: »
    This has been sort of going through my head. Very tempted to, and not going to meet anyone just sitting at home these days. Anyone got anymore experience/advice on heading out on your lonesome?

Don't sit alone in a corner texting/browsing on your phone all night!
    That seems to be where I go wrong:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

Don't sit alone in a corner texting/browsing on your phone all night!
    That seems to be where I go wrong:D

That's exactly what I'd do in that situation, so maybe I should re-think this whole thing :pac: Or hide my SIM...

Advertisement