Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polish lager and beers!!

Options
  • 21-05-2013 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

When in Poland during Euro 2012 we tried a few different Polish beers only to discover they are actually very nice in taste, and absolutely blow the head off you! we tried Tyskie, Lech, Okocim, Warka mocne, Zywiec, and one that begins with a ''Z'' but I cannot remember the name.

since returning to Ireland I don't drink anything but Tyskie or Okocim, I was wondering have many others tried Polish beers or Lagers and what do you think of them??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

I lived in Poznan for a few years, always have a soft spot for Lech when I see it in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭squonk

Good beers though I'm not a regular Polish tippler however they're a damn site better than the Heino/Carlsberg staples in most pubs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hughheffner

if you have not tried ''Okocim'' , it is a really nice beer. I think it is 6.7% :D pure rocket fuel
    it is very tastey though!

the only place I have found it for sale is Polonez on Mary st.

Lech is also a lovely tasting beer, but I don't think it is as strong as the others???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I wouldn't regard any of Tyskie, Karpackie, Zywiec etc. as the gourmand's choice. That being said, if someone handed me a Tyskie at the weekend I'd drink it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Polish beers are grand but I'd much prefer Czech beer. Staropramen, Budvar and 1795 are top notch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

the only place I have found it for sale is Polonez on Mary st.

Polonez have a huge selection of Polish beers.

They also have "Kasztelan Nie pasteryzowane" translated as "Kasztelan non-pasturised" which is a very good lager imo.
    http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/kasztelan-niepasteryzowane/72445/

And take note Tom Crean Lager; it's in 500mls cans!!!!!
    Holy god!!!!

My favorite Polish beer is "Perla" beer - pronounced "Perwa" beer
    I haven't seen it here though.

image-pc-bottle_zpse80dae2c.jpg

http://perla.pl/en/produkty/perla-export/

http://perla.pl/en/produkty/perla-chemielowa/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

upforit101 wrote: »
    And take note Tom Crean Lager; it's in 500mls cans!!!!!
    Holy god!!!!

While on the subject of beers imported to Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Zubr is nice too.

We got lomza and lomza unfiltered in at work today. Forgot to pick up a bottle of each on the way home though :(
    I'll try them tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

When in Poland during Euro 2012 we tried a few different Polish beers only to discover they are actually very nice in taste, and absolutely blow the head off you! we tried Tyskie, Lech, Okocim, Warka mocne, Zywiec, and one that begins with a ''Z'' but I cannot remember the name.

since returning to Ireland I don't drink anything but Tyskie or Okocim, I was wondering have many others tried Polish beers or Lagers and what do you think of them??

Zubr.

• Advertisement

Polonez have a huge selection of Polish beers.

They also have "Kasztelan Nie pasteryzowane" translated as "Kasztelan non-pasturised" which is a very good lager imo.

dsc_7602_zps9513ea6d.jpg

Popped in to Polonez yesterday; Kasztelan is 1.85 a 500ml can

I wonder is this the best priced non-pasteurized lager in town?

It certainly beats the heck out of shelling out close to 4 Euro for a bottle of Augustiner Edelstoff!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

We got lomza and lomza unfiltered in at work today. Forgot to pick up a bottle of each on the way home though :(
    I'll try them tomorrow.

I seen them in dunnes I think,any idea what the difference between them is?

I seen them in dunnes I think,any idea what the difference between them is?

Lomza export is a bog standard polish lager, nothing special. The unfiltered one has a cloudy appearance but again a very average beer.
    Definitely not worth the €2 Dunnes are charging for them. A rep from Comans (who supply it here) told me their rrp is €1.69, that's quite a markup.

Lomza export is a bog standard polish lager, nothing special. The unfiltered one has a cloudy appearance but again a very average beer.
    Definitely not worth the €2 Dunnes are charging for them. A rep from Comans (who supply it here) told me their rrp is €1.69, that's quite a markup.

Had a Lomza unpasturised last night - totally forgettable.

I was talking to the manager of Polonez today & she said they should be getting in Perla in about 3-4 weeks - YESSSSSSSSS!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Popped in to Polonez yesterday; Kasztelan is 1.85 a 500ml can

I wonder is this the best priced non-pasteurized lager in town?

It certainly beats the heck out of shelling out close to 4 Euro for a bottle of Augustiner Edelstoff!

I took a stroll down to Polonez in town and bought two cans of this today. I'll report back with my findings whenever I drink them.

For what it's worth, Polonez in Dundrum does not stock the range of beers they have in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I took a stroll down to Polonez in town and bought two cans of this today. I'll report back with my findings whenever I drink them.

For what it's worth, Polonez in Dundrum does not stock the range of beers they have in town.[/QUOTE

the D15 shop near the Blanch centre has no beer :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Would it be wrong of me to mention Karpackie? :o

I think it's a grand beer when it's well chilled. 5% abv as well. :)

Would it be wrong of me to mention Karpackie? :o

I think it's a grand beer when it's well chilled. 5% abv as well. :)

You mean like the guy at Centra said to me once; "Make sure it's ICE COLD" :) i.e. make it tasteless.
    Btw everybody (if you didn't know) it's pronounced "car-pat-ski-ye"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Having a Lomza export (non-pasteurised) here

More into craft stouts & IPAs these days but its a solid enough effort

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

ANyone know where I can get Perla in North Dublin? I've tried Lomza and it's not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Also don't forget Polish baltic porter, they are very good and then to be over looked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

If I go to pub for polish lager and beers do I take the Pledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

We were doing them for €1.79 where I work but now they're up to €1.99.

Did think the two beers mentioned above were anything special, but their Unpasteurised one is lovely. The hops really comes through.

ANyone know where I can get Perla in North Dublin? I've tried Lomza and it's not great.

Yesterday, I spotted Perla in one of the Spar shops in Newbridge and it was the non-pasteurised version too!

Trust me, this stuff is far superior to Lomza.

6% abv, €2.69 for a 500ml bottle.

398px-0%2C5l_Per%C5%82a.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Evan DietrichSmith

You mean like the guy at Centra said to me once; "Make sure it's ICE COLD" :) i.e. make it tasteless.
    Btw everybody (if you didn't know) it's pronounced "car-pat-ski-ye"

Harry is right it's a nice beer, however the price has crept up rapidly over the last few months.

No long ago you could get an 8 pack for €10 now I've seen same at over €13.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Has anyone seen Zubr on sale in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Tesco sell it. €2.29 a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I've spotted "Wolski" beer on my local Topaz station.
    Name sounds Polish.
    Below name "Wolski" it says "Premium PILSNER przepis tradycyjny" which in Polish means "traditional recipe"

I've tried it, and similar to Karpackie - it's drinkable when properly chilled. Nothing more. Price range also similar to Karpackie.

Funny thing though is that in the back of the tin it says: "Produced in the EU by Bulmers Limited, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.

Does that mean that it's Irish made beer marketed as Polish?

Wolski_4_x_500ml.jpg_Thumbnail0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

CiniO wrote: »
    Does that mean that it's Irish made beer
    No. It could be brewed anywhere in the EU. "Bulmers Limited", aka C&C Gleeson Group, owns the Tennents brewery in Glasgow so it could equally be made there.

Advertisement