Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammed

Options
  • 21-05-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I think I've been a victim of a scam.

I got a call to buy advert space on a calendar. The idea that was presentedto me was that there would be a picture of the Dublin football team and various businesses would be advertised around it. The calendars would then be distributed to schools. Initial contact was made over the phone, we recently ran an advert in alocal newspaper and they got my number from that. They sold the idea to us and we agreed. I asked for an invoice, which he sent with the company logo, name, reg no, vat no etc was all on it. They ask for payment upfront (notunusual when purchasing ad space, it was the same with the local newspaper). I agreed and initially said we would pay by EFT (the acc info was on the invoice)but unfortunately we decided not to and my boyfriend who is the owner of the company (carpentry) decided he would meet their rep out on the job and pay by cash. He did get a receipt for it though.

I've since tried to make contact as the calendars were due to be ready a week ago and I haven't heard anything. The mobile number I had is goingstraight to voice mail, no response from emails.

This second as I write this post he returned my call. He said that thecalendars are a week away from been printed as they didn't sell the ad space as quick as they thought. I asked him about that the fact that when I searched his CRO number that was on the invoice it showed up a dissolved company on the CRO website. He said that he is definitely there, to search it again (which Iwill). I asked him about where he got the pictures from and he said he gets them from a photographer and not the GAA. He then goes around to various schools.

I've asked him the name of the printers, which he gave me. He is also to send me a list of the schools that he will be sending them to. I still don'tbelieve him and I feel like a bit of a fool. Why would you get a calendarprinted before you have schools on board to sell them? Am I forgetting something that I should be asking him?

Bottom line is we have paid cash for it, so the likelihood is that we won'tget it back but can I report him/track him down? I have his mobile number, landline number, bankacc details and email address.[/COLOR]

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Did he rob the font off your computer too? Change that text pls, its nigh impossible to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Why would you have agreed to do this in the first place? How many students do you think need a carpenter's number?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Apart from a calender being issued in May/June, to schools who are just about to close for the summer holidays, and why a carpenter would see the need to advertise to schoolkids, why is this in the GAA forum?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Tis very difficult to read that post in that font.

Besides the fact that there was a picture of the Dublin team on the calendar I don't know what this has to do with the GAA, you might be better off asking in the Legal Discussion forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

OP mentions the name of the company in another thread on this forum. Stubbs Gazette have that company's status listed as "normal".

New Search|Company listing|Business listing
    G***** M***

Business No: 4***6
    Address:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ampss

Sorry it's to go home to the parents. The idea is that the students sell the calendars for two euro each to raise money for charity

The calendar is to run from May 2013 to May 2014. The calendars are to go home to the parents..

Sorry I may have posted this in the wrong forum. New enough to Boards!

Advertisement