Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic Repair- soldering (Dublin)

Options
  • 21-05-2013 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Short version- I am looking for some intricate soldering to be done in Dublin- any recommendations?

Long version- I have 2 x Logitech Harmony One remotes:
    1. Cracked LCD Screen
    2. Fwd & Fwd Skip buttons not working (remote disabled by Logitech)
    I want to transfer the LCD screen from 2 to 1. I found a great website www.harmonyremoterepair.com, they do repairs but are based in the US, so not economical for me to send it to them for repair. However their website has full DIY guide to this procedure http://www.harmonyremoterepair.com/Documents/H1_LCD_install_tips.pdf. I have stripped down both remotes to the logic boards but I don't really have the soldering skills to de-solder & solder a small LCD 20-pin ribbon. Can anyone recommend a shop in Dublin? I tried Computers Unlimited but they want min. €45 inspection fee :eek:. As these remotes sell used for €80-€90 on eBay, I was hoping that I could get this done for <€30, is that unrealistic?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Have you a pic of what needs soldering? I've had my One apart before but can't remember what it was like inside

Edit: Is it this?http://m.instructables.com/files/deriv/F18/VKHQ/H191QR24/F18VKHQH191QR24.MEDIUM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

I have the same question - but for SMT. I have a 4 pin connector that was accidentally pulled off a surface mount PCB that I need reconnected.

I have rung few places but they want a €45 diagnostic fee! This is more than what the device is worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Have you a pic of what needs soldering? I've had my One apart before but can't remember what it was like inside

Edit: Is it this?http://m.instructables.com/files/deriv/F18/VKHQ/H191QR24/F18VKHQH191QR24.MEDIUM.jpg

Hi Chet T16- Yes, that looks like it alright.

Wheeker wrote: »
    Hi Chet T16- Yes, that looks like it alright.

Shouldn't be a problem to do. If you can get them to wicklow that is.

b318isp wrote: »
    I have the same question - but for SMT. I have a 4 pin connector that was accidentally pulled off a surface mount PCB that I need reconnected.

I have rung few places but they want a €45 diagnostic fee! This is more than what the device is worth.

Can you get a pic?

• Advertisement

Can you get a pic?

Will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

You could head to one of the colleges and ask someone there for help. Engineering technician or a student.

Shouldn't be a problem to do. If you can get them to wicklow that is.

Thanks Chet T16, that would be great. I'll PM you for details.

Can you get a pic?

It's number 2 here:

Flexcablesocketonpsp1000motherboard.jpg

OP here, just to update that Chet T16 repaired my Harmony One Remote for me in record time & for a very reasonable fee :D

Absolutely delighted, it's working flawlessly again. I posted it by registered Post- Chet T16 received it on Monday & I had it back repaired on the Wednesday. All good- would highly recommend Chet T16 to anyone needing some electronic repair work done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Sorry to bring an old thread up but i need a bit of soldering doing.

I have a Jambox (Bluetooth speaker) and the charging bit has come loose, a common fault.

The repair is in this vid, from 06:00

• Registered Users Posts: 3 birefall

My delightful darling 5 year old daughter spilled some tea into my Harmony One remote. I took it apart, dried it off and and put it on a radiator and it seems in reasonable shape except that the touchscreen does now not work. It looks like I yanked the ribbon cable from the front cover/touchscreen as the contacts have separated and I can't figure out how to re-attach or solder them.

Searching online I happened on this thread, Chet T16, do you think this is a job you can do?

I think you might be out of luck, can you get a decent pic of the damage and send it to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 birefall

I think you're right, looks like I need the touchscreen/front cover as the ribbon seems to be thermally bonded to it. I'll probably try to get a broken one for parts off Ebay. I don't want to take it apart again until I have a good chance of fixing it. I'll take a pic then and get back to if I need soldering, cheers!

birefall wrote: »
    I think you're right, looks like I need the touchscreen/front cover as the ribbon seems to be thermally bonded to it. I'll probably try to get a broken one for parts off Ebay. I don't want to take it apart again until I have a good chance of fixing it. I'll take a pic then and get back to if I need soldering, cheers!

I am almost ashamed to say I did the exact same thing.... twice! :o

Once when I first took it apart & then again with my spare Touchscreen after Chet T16 had soldered the LCD Screen. It's far too easy to do & the online guide I used didn't mention to watch out for this :mad:. Anyhow, like yourself I quickly realised that this wasn't a solder job, it seems to be thermally bonded. I did exactly as you said- I watched & waited for a broken one on e-Bay & bought it just for the Touchscreen (only £10 incl postage, so not too bad). Swapped out the Touchscreen, extremely carefully, & now all good again!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭johnser

Hi.

Sorry to hijack a old thread but I was looking to get some soldering work done. I have small LEDS which I need soldered. They are are SMD and are in a PLCC4 form factor which is too small for me to solder. Is this something that you can handle Chet T16? Also I have the replacement LEDS. There are about 8 LEDS that need to be replaced.

Thanks

johnser wrote: »
    Hi.

Sorry to hijack a old thread but I was looking to get some soldering work done. I have small LEDS which I need soldered. They are are SMD and are in a PLCC4 form factor which is too small for me to solder. Is this something that you can handle Chet T16? Also I have the replacement LEDS. There are about 8 LEDS that need to be replaced.

Thanks

Can you get me a pic of what needs doing? They should be ok provided access isn't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭johnser

Hi.

Thanks for getting back to me. Access should be fine. Here are two images of the boards.

1206e.jpg

1205e.jpg

Theres some pretty big power planes there which might make getting the old ones off tricky but yeah access is grand.

Where are you based? Drop me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rlaffey

ChetT16, are you still doing electronics repairs?

I have a small ribbon cable which needs an LED re-soldered back onto it, 2 connectors have detached.

Thanks !

• Advertisement
Advertisement