Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palmerstown - Oak Court Area

Options
  • 20-05-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm considering buying a property in Palmerstown at the moment, specifically around the Oakcourt ave/drive/grove/etc area. Anybody have any opinions on these areas ? How safe and quiet are they ? What are the neighbours like etc ? I know that some of these roads have pedestrian avenues running behind them, and I noticed that they don't have any street lighting and are covered in graffiti. I guess I shouldn't be overly surprised by the graffiti, but I'd be concerned about bored kids/teens hanging out there, or worse still, muggins/attacks etc occurring there given that there's no lighting, surveillance etc.

Aside from the local SuperValu, what other supermarkets are there nearby ? I know Liffey Valley is only a stones throw away, but I don't think there are any supermarkets there, are there ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Eric The Great

The "Pedestrian Avenues" you refer to would more locally be known as back lanes. This system of lanes to the rear of terraced homes is widespread throughout Palmerstown and was originally meant as a means of rubbish collection.

There is little doubt that they have been the focus of some serious anti social behavior over the years and the condition of some of them suggest they still are.

The bottom end (East) of Oak Court looks across the "Gaels" which is a local Park separating Palmerstown from Ballyfermot. This Park is home to various activities during the day and night, some good , some not so good.

As the crow flies, the nearest Supermarket to Oak Court would be the LIDL facing Cherry orchard Hospital in Ballyfermot, there is also a Tesco further on down Ballyfermot Road.

On the plus side you would be beside the Silver Granite Pub, which is a long established hostelry in the area, the Centra store facing the Granite and if you planned on staying in the area for the duration, Palmerstown Cemetery is just behind Centra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The "Pedestrian Avenues" you refer to would more locally be known as back lanes. This system of lanes to the rear of terraced homes is widespread throughout Palmerstown and was originally meant as a means of rubbish collection.

There is little doubt that they have been the focus of some serious anti social behavior over the years and the condition of some of them suggest they still are.

The bottom end (East) of Oak Court looks across the "Gaels" which is a local Park separating Palmerstown from Ballyfermot. This Park is home to various activities during the day and night, some good , some not so good.

As the crow flies, the nearest Supermarket to Oak Court would be the LIDL facing Cherry orchard Hospital in Ballyfermot, there is also a Tesco further on down Ballyfermot Road.

On the plus side you would be beside the Silver Granite Pub, which is a long established hostelry in the area, the Centra store facing the Granite and if you planned on staying in the area for the duration, Palmerstown Cemetery is just behind Centra.

:D:D

ps its a supervalue, Op you also have Pamerto(w)n village which has a bank and another Pub and also a lovely Park which goes right along the liffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

I live close enough to Oakcourt, and while not the worst area, I'd advise you to take a few trips there yourself at various times. It's not a major no-go area, but there are plenty of teenagers hanging about. It's pretty well-situated in terms of amenities and transport, though.

Advertisement