Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media server and how to store/ stream music.

Options
  • 20-05-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    So I've just recently set up a small media network in the home. I have a hard drive hooked up to the router in the sitting room below the tv which I'm using to store all of my tv series and movies so that I can stream them to whoever wants them in the house.
    Next step is to put on the music onto the hard drive. However I was wondering, what way should the files be put on the drive (currently they're in folders for each artist then folders for the albums within that, that hold the tracks) and secondly what software can you use for navigating through the songs and streaming the music. With the way it is currently you can only search by artist name which can sometimes get annoying.
    Other than having all the files on your hard drive and using something like WMP or itunes, I'm not sure of a way to do this.
    I'm currently using XBMC which is great but doesn't let you search by anything other than the way the drive is actually layed out.
    Is what I'm after around or is it just a case that I have to lay out my drive for the way I search music and tough luck if I want to do it differently some days?

Cheers for the help.

Advertisement