Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Seekers Allowance

Options
  • 20-05-2013 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Can anyone tell me what I can expect to be granted from JSA. Spouse and I have bout 15,000 in savings and a site worth bout 40,000. He is self employed with gross earnings of 300 per Wk. We have 2 children and another on the way. Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

mp22 wrote: »

Yes, I've been reading and re-reading all the sites but I still can't come up with any figure to expect! Wondering about the site as a means as there isn't much we can do with it and about weather my husband would qualify as dependent as he earns under 350 per Wk. Just confused overall!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

As I read the means test rules for JSA, your husband needs to claim, the max payment for a couple with 3 children is €402 if his income from self employment is €300 per week you might get €100 or so.Your savings do not count as they are below 20k.

I dont know how they treat the value of a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

The value of the site if there isnt any mortgage on it will be assessed in the same manner as capital. Spouses self employment is more complicated that just stating €300 per week gross. Earnings from self employment will be calculated from his most up to date accounts and projected earnings for 2013.

[quotanyoastbono;84709453"]The value of the site if there isnt any mortgage on it will be assessed in the same manner as capital. Spouses self employment is more complicated that just stating €300 per week gross. Earnings from self employment will be calculated from his most up to date accounts and projected earnings for 2013.[/quote].

Oh ya, I understand that. We have his accounts and an average of 300 has been calculated.
    If the site is considered means then i think I'm in big trouble. For now, there isn't alot we can do with the site and it was gifted to us but it will deduct about 110euro from my claim.
    Does anyone know if I could sign the site back over until such a time as I don't need to claim. From my calculations I may only get 56euro and about 80 after I have the baby. 380 a week with 3 kids and a mortgage would be almost impossible for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

[quotanyoastbono;84709453"]The value of the site if there isnt any mortgage on it will be assessed in the same manner as capital. Spouses self employment is more complicated that just stating €300 per week gross. Earnings from self employment will be calculated from his most up to date accounts and projected earnings for 2013.[/quote].
    Sinead Mc1 wrote: »
    Oh ya, I understand that. We have his accounts and an average of 300 has been calculated.
    If the site is considered means then i think I'm in big trouble. For now, there isn't alot we can do with the site and it was gifted to us but it will deduct about 110euro from my claim.
    Does anyone know if I could sign the site back over until such a time as I don't need to claim. From my calculations I may only get 56euro and about 80 after I have the baby. 380 a week with 3 kids and a mortgage would be almost impossible for us.

Be very careful here. Welfare aren't daft, and what you're suggesting could be seen as fraud. Get advice from a solicitor.

[quotanyoastbono;84709453"]The value of the site if there isnt any mortgage on it will be assessed in the same manner as capital. Spouses self employment is more complicated that just stating €300 per week gross. Earnings from self employment will be calculated from his most up to date accounts and projected earnings for 2013.

Be very careful here. Welfare aren't daft, and what you're suggesting could be seen as fraud. Get advice from a solicitor.[/quote]

Yup, I know. That's just the panics setting in. I know they'd smell a rat and I don't suppose they would understand the predicament. Another option is to start working on the site with the savings we have with the aim of moving in to the newly built house and selling the one were in. Anyone know if they would reassess our means then, as the savings would be spent. Or would they also be annoyed that we spent those savings? I feel really stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Keogh08

Could you get an up to date valuation of the site. Is 40k realistic?

Keogh08 wrote: »
    Could you get an up to date valuation of the site. Is 40k realistic?

As there is a derelict cottage on it we reckon that would be the roundabout figure it would fetch. I didn't mention what I thought it was worth though as the inspector said they must research this themselves. I could be wrong but I'm trying to look at the worst case scenario for now and I wouldn't be suprised if that's the value they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Would you be able to claim JSB?

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Would you be able to claim JSB?

I had a baby last year and got pregnant for a second time during my maternity leave. Went onto job seekers benefit in Nov. Continued seeking employment but its difficult as bump grows. I presumed I would be entitled to maternity benefit as it goes by what you earned two tax years ago, and I worked consistently up until last year, but you must have just come from employment also. Now iI have to go onto job seekers allowance and this site we have is causing issues. I will have to find work straight after baby is born.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Keogh08

If you are past the 24wk mark on your pregnancy you only have to work and put up an A class stamp (earn more than €38) to be eligible for maternity benefit based on your earnings in the relevent year (2yrs ago). Can you possibly work a anywhere for a day or so?

Advertisement