Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - 555 Piece Drill Bit Set

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not to hijack the thread but what's the best ones money can buy, I bought a cheap enough set of them the last time and they melt like butter, not saying the lidl ones will but at that price i'm suspicious. I need a new set all mine are wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Not to hijack the thread but what's the best ones money can buy, I bought a cheap enough set of them the last time and they melt like butter, not saying the lidl ones will but at that price i'm suspicious. I need a new set all mine are wrecked.

Drill bits are consumable. Most of them don't last that long, even the most expensive ones. I would advise investing in a drill bit sharpener or buy spares for the bits you use most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

I have found that lidl is fine for light home use.

I doubt its suitable for commercial use.

Just looking but it seems that there is about 10 masonry bits. The rest is a large selection of HSS and wood bits.

You may find that you have a lot of other bits that you didn't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

rochestown wrote: »
    Hi - this went up last night on the Lidl website... does anyone have any experience with Lidl Drill Bits - is this a good value item for general domestic use?

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-540EC274-3A325631/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_31624.htm

Thanks...

total overkill.. just buy a little set of 6 or 12 unless you plan to go pro in which case they would last about a day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

No idea on the quality of these but after buying a similar thing in Argos, never again. Bits were made of cheese. I've stuck to branded bits ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Benefits of a set like this is for those one off jobs that like to pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭m4rkiz

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Multi-Construction-Drill-Bits/dp/B001L1RAYQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_diy_1

i was a bit skeptical about it but after a year i have to say that it is very good set for masonry, good enough for wood & steel, saves a ton of space, just add some small hss 1-5 mm drill bits and this will cover most of your everyday needs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

depends on what you are drilling

wood bits are useless for anything except softwood, some plastics , and even then - never liked the flat wide ones , they must be kept razor sharp and don't put much pressure on them

don't even think of drilling old concrete without a hammer drill

regardless bits loose temper when overheated , on metal use oil, if doing a lot of drilling perhaps use two drills so you can alternate without overheating

prob best ask on the DIY forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=116

Drill bits are way cheaper when bought in bulk - keep an eye out for sets of the same size - , buying one at a time is only worth consdering if it's the only thing stopping you doing that job today

Advertisement