Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 classic megalithic tomb types

Options
  • 20-05-2013 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

The 4 classic Megalithic Tomb types are portal, wedge, court and passage.

Are there any clear and hard defining feature to separate these 4 classifications, or can portal sort of morph into wedge and wedge into court?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

The 4 classic Megalithic Tomb types are portal, wedge, court and passage.

Are there any clear and hard defining feature to separate these 4 classifications, or can portal sort of morph into wedge and wedge into court?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_megalithic_tombs

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

I know the basic features!

But..........

Does a Portal by definition only have 1 capstone? If a second capstone was added, and it wasn't quite level, would we be calling it a wedge? If a wedge had a larger entrance area would we be calling it a court?

Are we, here in the 20th/21st centuries imposing a classification on these structures which wasn't envisaged at all by the original people who constructed them?

Are there really clear cut lines in style between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

I know the basic features!

But..........

Does a Portal by definition only have 1 capstone? If a second capstone was added, and it wasn't quite level, would we be calling it a wedge? If a wedge had a larger entrance area would we be calling it a court?

Are we, here in the 20th/21st centuries imposing a classification on these structures which wasn't envisaged at all by the original people who constructed them?

Are there really clear cut lines in style between them?

I'm not an archaeologist but I've visited a good number of each of the types. In the beginning I often just went to look at them from the Megalithic Tomb symbol on the OS map. Pretty much all of them were identifiable from the 3 main classifications.
    Any examples or reasons why you think they may "blend" in together? Also what significance would this mean?

Advertisement