Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTWEA Appeals process

Options
  • 19-05-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

I was on the BTWEA scheme from 02/11 to 02/13 and am still running my business.
    But I decided about a year ago that I need to upskill if I want to make my business really work and did a college course in addition from 09/12 to 05/13. It was a attendance morning course only and due to the nature of my business I could continue working full-time on my business plus attending the course (tough and I wouldn't recommend it but I managed).

In March of this year this somehow came up with social welfare and as the course was considered being a full-time course (despite attendance in the morning only) it was decided I wasn't entitled to my payments from 09/12 to 02/13.

The form used was a standard one for JS benefit / allowance and stated I can appeal the decision with the appeals office.

As I never did much more than what we did in the mornings for college and run the business for the rest of my time I appealed but now had to learn that the appeals office doesn't deal with BTWEA as it's not a statutory payment.

So I'm back to Social Welfare where I'll go next week. I did talk to someone dealing with BTWEA applications before my appeal but she wasn't familiar at all with such a situation.

Does any of you have experience with such a constellation? Is it even possible to appeal a decision re BTWEA?

I'm a bit afraid that it might be tricky to find the person to talk to - unless I can talk to the decision officer. So any help is appreciated.

(I am aware that you can't do a full-time course while on BTWEA but to me this particular one wasn't full time for me and I never treated it as such so don't want to give up too easily)

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

It doesn't matter you only attended mornings only, or you didn't treat it like a full time course - it depends on what the college classifies it at.
    Is it a full or part time course on their brochure/prospectus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

It is classified / considered as a full-time course but I got a confirmation from them that the course is layed out in a way to accomodate family or work commitments...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

The appeal will be looked at by a deciding officer in the local office. You can post it or drop it into the BTW section of your office. However, as it was classed as a full time course this will probably be unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Ah. Thank you! At least I know now that I can appeal it.

Yeah, I know I have only slim hope in this, but when I was talking to the BTWEA officer before I sent in my appeal to the appeals office she seemed to support and understand my decision in doing this course. Plus I have a good confirmation from my mentor that there was never any doubt about me running a business while on the course.

I went through quite a bit over the last few months juggling everything so I want to try everything possible...

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Advertisement