Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert in 1 year

Options
  • 19-05-2013 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

I'm heading into 5th year next year and i was wondering is it possible to sit the leaving cert in one year and where could I do it? I live in Dublin and I saw there was a place called Yeats college but other than that I couldn't see anywhere, and its in Galway which doesn't help. Does the institute do it in 1 year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Is that even possible? o.0 I've heard in the Institute you can sit some exams in one year .. but that's all?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I'm heading into 5th year next year and i was wondering is it possible to sit the leaving cert in one year and where could I do it? I live in Dublin and I saw there was a place called Yeats college but other than that I couldn't see anywhere, and its in Galway which doesn't help. Does the institute do it in 1 year?

Well the institute usually does fifth and sixth year so if you joined only for the year you would only be covering half the course! I guess you could go to a repeat school as we cover the whole course in one year. Honestly, i get maybe you want to finish quicker why would you do that to yourself? all subjects in only a year! I only took up one new subject to cover in a year and i was still worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Why do want to be done in one year? You'll have a tough year to say the least! I'm fairly sure in Leeson Street they do the course in one year, but sure as long as you have their notes you don't even need their help! :P

kingcobra wrote: »
    Why do want to be done in one year? You'll have a tough year to say the least! I'm fairly sure in Leeson Street they do the course in one year, but sure as long as you have their notes you don't even need their help! :P
    Does the Department of Education even allow the Leaving Cert to be fully complete in 5th year? Is that even possible? o.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fashionteen

I hear its possible, I want to take a year out to do a portfolio and I already did transition year.. Really it was just an idea I am really interested in...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teach88

Does the Department of Education even allow the Leaving Cert to be fully complete in 5th year? Is that even possible? o.0

The official line is that a candidate cannot sit the LC until 2 years after their JC.

So if the student does TY, in theory, they can sit LC exams at the end of 5th year.

teach88 wrote: »
    The official line is that a candidate cannot sit the LC until 2 years after their JC.

So if the student does TY, in theory, they can sit LC exams at the end of 5th year.
    Now, that's very interesting! I'll suggest just to be safe(in terms of desireable points), do the full three years (including TY).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭AndyMc

I know that in the local vocational school you can do the LC in 1 year but thats really for people who need very little points and just want to get out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 fashionteen

teach88 wrote: »

Wow... That's crazy, pretty interesting thing to know... I didn't think it was honestly possible

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

I have done the LC course in one year, but I moved to Ireland from abroad, so I had covered a lot of the History, Biology, German and Maths Leaving Cert course before starting 6th year. Business isn't too bad to study for it in a year, English was a nice subject to be catching up in too (had a brilliant teacher, she gave me so many notes on the stuff the rest of the class done in 5th year). However, this was a different situation. I had caught up with the rest of the class by the first mid-term break at the time. I was fairly pleased with my LC results, too.

I wouldn't encourage you to skip ahead! If you decide to go to college, you are going to be pretty young. Staying in school for one more year is going to benefit both your results and your personal skills! Doing the LC in one year is a stressful experience. If you don't get the result you were looking for you might even end up repeating or doing some course you don't like that much, because you didn't get the points for the course you were looking for. If you don't know for certain what you are going to do for the rest of your life, do the normal 2 year course... explore career opportunities, go to opening days,etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 jplc

I took up the leaving cert in one year( 8 subjects) without ever having previously completed the programme. Initially i enrolled in a somewhat well known grind school in templeogue Dublin. This was a complete waste of time and money. I then studied from home and attended the Easter and pre leaving cert revision courses in the IOE which was great. If you have a good work ethic don't waste your money on a full time grind school. a compilation of text books, past exam papers and a good Christmas and Easter revision course ( i recommend the IOE and nowhere else) should get you through it.
    The IOE also offer part time weekend courses of which i believe they cover the entire course (quite intensively) in one year, but you may have to inquire about that.
    Doing the course in one year is very doable
    Hope this helps best of luck, :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

AndyMc wrote: »
    I know that in the local vocational school you can do the LC in 1 year but thats really for people who need very little points and just want to get out of there.

What a strange arrangement. I've never heard of that.

Most repeat LC courses are one year and run in vocational (VEC) schools.

Advertisement