Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato plant diseased - branches wilting

Options
  • 19-05-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Few weeks ago I notices greenfly on my tomato plant, so I started spraying it with fairy liquid and water mixed. Don't know if it's done much, but now my plant seems to be diseased. The bottom branches are wilting and the leaves curling up, and there is purplish streaks along the branches. Wondering if this could possilby be blight, or some other disease? I cut about 7 branches off the bottom, but it looks like it has spread up to the next few branches. I'll probably cut off the rest of the branches that look anyway unhealthy, but I'll be removing most of the plant. It's flowering and the top oart of the plant is fine, so I'm wondering if there's anything that can be done to save it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Doesn't look too bad, seems to have leaf curl which can be caused by different stresses - too hot, too cold, too much watering etc Where is the plant? Plants can perform just fine with leaf curl.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Its a big plant for the middle of may,you must have got a very early start sowing. as redser said certainly does not look too bad.
    mabye a little less watering(how often do you water?) imo leaves turning under, the plant is trying to release(transpire) excess water through its stomate, and the opposite, leaf curl is a plant trying to conserve moisture.That is early greenfly, i ve seen none YET! thankfully
    Purple colour will have little or no effect on toms and quantity. I find it happens later in the season for me, toms are tough fighters,
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Thanks, that's probably it. It was in a window above a radiator so I've moved it to a different area. It was probably just too hot, I'll see how it gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Its a big plant for the middle of may,you must have got a very early start sowing. as redser said certainly does not look too bad.
    mabye a little less watering(how often do you water?) imo leaves turning under, the plant is trying to release(transpire) excess water through its stomate, and the opposite, leaf curl is a plant trying to conserve moisture.That is early greenfly, i ve seen none YET! thankfully
    Purple colour will have little or no effect on toms and quantity. I find it happens later in the season for me, toms are tough fighters,
    Best of luck

Yeah I planted it back in late January, it was actually supposed to be a chocolate habanero plant, but I guess a tomato seed must have slipped in with the other seeds :eek: the rest of the chilli seeds all seem to be what they're supposed to, so I don't know what happened with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Back in the eighties, an old lady asked me to put up some supports in her glass house, as the roof was falling down, due to rot. I put in some treated timber posts under the roof. Her tomato plants all died. Anything like that near your plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

A good deed busted flat, i dont think your work contributed to the toms passing,unless maybe they were trained up the posts:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

A good deed busted flat, i dont think your work contributed to the toms passing,unless maybe they were trained up the posts:-)

The posts were down the center supporting the ridge board, the plants were about 18in's or so to the nearest plant. You could be right it may have no connection.

Advertisement