Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday Indo: dole & remittances to Nigeria & Poland

Options
  • 19-05-2013 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

1) 1 in 7 people on the dole has never worked a day in their life.
    2) Nigerians living in Ireland sent home €468 million euro in 2011.
    3) Polish living in Ireland sent home €174 million in 2011.

Sunday Independent, 19/05/2013.

I am self employed - pay tax AND I am a tax payer as an employee. I work 10 hour days and at least 4 nights per week I spend time at home doing paperwork for work. I am finding it harder and harder to stay in business. If I have to close and put more people on the "dole", I will be "entitled" to nothing .

I am getting more disillusioned by the hour with this country. I meet people each day (Irish) who simply say "sure I am better off on the dole". Sadly, in many cases it is true as their is no incentive for them to give it up.

I spoke to a girl recently who held a jobs fair. She said the first half hour both days was packed with people - after that there was nobody. She said she asked numerous people why & got the same response - "have to be seen as "trying" to get work to keep their benefits.

Before I get attacked, I feel very strongly that people who have made contributions as tax payers are entitled to assistance if made unemployed through no reason of their own. Also I believe there are many who cannot work because of genuine illness. (One of my own friends worked for about a year (15 years ago), hurt her arm and was on disability for many years after. She could live on what she was getting & had no work ethic.)

I would like to get a mortgage & one day have children, I simply can't as I will never be able to afford to. I understand we need to repay our debts but I resent having to pay for others to do what they want when I work so hard and will never get to do those things.

How much more do workers have to take in this country before the above 3 points change???

:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Are you implying that all money sent by Nigerians and Poles is provided by the Department of Social Protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

No, not at all. Genuinely not implying that for a minute.

I personally know lots of Polish people who work full time in Ireland and have done for years. I know many who work at the jobs that Irish simply do not want. I also have used many taxis with Nigerian men driving.

How many of the 1 in 7 are Irish?? I would say that it is a lot. I think those statistics are alarming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

There's another thread about this on boards today; ask yourself; how many of these have left school or college in the last four years? How many are unfit for work through addiction or mental health issues, but not eligible for disability?

Would you prefer a society that let's people fall through the cracks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

What's the connection with people sending money home and the dole so?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

State Benefits is not a forum to discuss topics like these, perhaps you could try Irish Economy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement