Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else seen "I am Legend"?

Options
  • 19-05-2013 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

After enjoying the book immensely my better half and I finally found the time to watch this yesterday.

I was very impressed with the protagonist Neville. He's a soldier when the film suits, laying traps and a colourful variety of weapons, yet he is also a scientist, busy researching a cure to the global epidemic which has turned pretty much everyone into vampire like creatures. (Needless to say Neville is immune to the same.)

While it made for gripping viewing, from a Survivalist perspective I found it a bit thin on the ground. The film makes a point of this mad replaying news stories from his Tivo, films on DVD and even an impressive array of UV lights without explaining where the power is supposed to come from for the same.

He also seems to have found a way to safely store bacon for nearly three years, which apparently he was saving for a special occasion.

His vast store of food seems to have been gathered after the fact from other houses, although we know that the most likely outcome of any disaster on this scale would be that anything of value would be long looted.

In all while it may appeal to our "lone survivor" fantasies, we know that in reality even a global epidemic would be unlikely to empty cities of all but one person leaving him free to plunder all the goodies left lying around. The time to prepare is now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I liked it to be honest, a lot of it was Hollywood artistic licence at work so took it with the appropriate dosage of Sodium Chloride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Great book, mediocre film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

OP, so now you can go back and watch the other I am Legend films that started with Omega Man and was followed by The Last Man on Earth. There's also the more recent I am Omega which was released straight to DVD to cash in on the success of I am Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

eirator wrote: »
    OP, so now you can go back and watch the other I am Legend films that started with Omega Man and was followed by The Last Man on Earth. There's also the more recent I am Omega which was released straight to DVD to cash in on the success of I am Legend.

Hi Eirator, yes I've heard of the one with Charlton Heston, am toying with the idea of ordering it on Amazon at the end of the month - I had thought the Last Man on Earth came out first?

I am Omega looks the most promising mockbuster to date. I read on Wikipedia that the same studio also produced 30,000 Leagues under the Sea and Snakes on a Train. :-D

The plot does involve this chap being contacted by webcam though - is this plausible given there'd be no one left to run power stations and therefore the internet?? Should we just suspend our disbelief?

The film was rather meh. Watchable, I guess. There are better movies out there in terms of survival-ism and in the vampire/zombie genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

The film could have been fantastic. So much potential wasted when
    He killed his dog

Heart breaking stuff

The film could have been fantastic. So much potential wasted when
    He killed his dog

Heart breaking stuff

Yes indeed,

Spoiler alert:
    It's quite clear that the dog is the only companion he's had for a while, particularly when he starts addressing himself to the mannequins as a way of staying sane and trips one of his own traps. There seems to be less emphasis on his struggle for survival and sanity than there is on how many special effects can be squeezed into a movie. A real sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

silentrust wrote: »
    Yes indeed,

Spoiler alert:
    It's quite clear that the dog is the only companion he's had for a while, particularly when he starts addressing himself to the mannequins as a way of staying sane and trips one of his own traps. There seems to be less emphasis on his struggle for survival and sanity than there is on how many special effects can be squeezed into a movie. A real sham.

TBH,
    Is it a bit unusual that he supposedly is losing it a bit talking to mannequins? he has a dog! why does he need to talk to inanimate objects?, he could just talk to his dog

suspend disbelief generally

Merch wrote: »
    TBH,
    Is it a bit unusual that he supposedly is losing it a bit talking to mannequins? he has a dog! why does he need to talk to inanimate objects?, he could just talk to his dog

suspend disbelief generally
    Perhaps the mannequin of the pretty lady gives him things his dog can't...!

Oh dear... :-)

I wasn't thinking along those lines, lets hope not
    :eek::D

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    I wasn't thinking along those lines, lets hope not
    :eek::D

My SO remarked that the Brazilian girl had a healthy glow about her in the alternate ending we watched. It seems mannequins and quadrupeds can only take you so far... :-)

:-)

there's another ending?just ggoled that and saw it, damn how old is that film and I never knew

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Oooh. Alternate ending! I really enjoyed that film. Of course you need to suspend the disbelief entirely, but it was enjoyable none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Im pretty sure he could have found some peanut butter
    dogs love to lick peanut butter
    :D

Im pretty sure he could have found some peanut butter
    dogs love to lick peanut butter
    :D

They'd probably be less keen on the cream topping.

Advertisement