Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autism

Options
  • 19-05-2013 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

Is there anyone out there who is in the process or has done "The Autism Treatment Center Son-Rise Program"

I am looking for as much independent/non biased info as I can get on it.

I'm on the Cork/Limerick area ...

Thanks,
    Mr Ballyorgan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 alice carroll

can anyone tell me what to do. I suspect my three year old daughter has autism. can anyone give me the name of someone who can diagnose her. Thanks

can anyone tell me what to do. I suspect my three year old daughter has autism. can anyone give me the name of someone who can diagnose her. Thanks

hi , i went to professor michael fitzgerald,

http://www.professormichaelfitzgerald.eu/

he holds a clinic in blanchardstown once a week. if memory serves me his fee was 400 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Carmoll

You can apply for an Assessment of Need report for your child, it is a longer process than going to Professor Fitzgerald however it is more comprehensive and it is free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

We contacted our PHN who referred our son to a speech therapist and then to the early intervention team for our area. The team consisted of a clinical psychologist, speech and language therapist, occupational therapist and physiotherapist. It took awhile to get the diagnosis because they like to access the child over a period of time.
    Even if you go private for the diagnosis most people recommend that you also go through the public system too. If she does have autism every piece of therapy you get will be invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Hi

Any parent who suspects has the right to an Assessment of Needs. In light of the new progressing childrens services it may require getting your GP to write to your local Service provider. It may be that the Brothers/Sisters of Charity or John of Gods may do the assessment.

If your child is assessed as having a need, you then enter the service or you may appeal the decision. contact your local HSE office for contacts in your area.

OP I am aware of a family who did the Sunshine program if you want details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Hi newman10,

Our 3 year old was recently diagnosed with autism by Enable Ireland.

We've been thinking of doing the Son-Rise programme and I've been looking into it a lot.

We've only started with a home-tutor using ABA techniques and our child is coming on in leaps and bounds.

Son-Rise is very anti-ABA. There was a TV Movie about the original Son-Rise boy, you can watch it on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9auYQOlUKo4

There are no statistics available on the success of the Son-Rise programme. I read somewhere myself that around 7% of children diagnosed with autism 'snap-out' of it by ten years of age for no known reason.

Advertisement