Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 19-05-2013 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

Ok here's a tricky one for you ! I'm a single 47yr old looking to move back to the UK. At the moment I'm renting a room here in Dublin, but I grew up in the UK and I'm fed up with things (& some people !) here. I have a bit of a problem in that I don't have any savings or a job. I've applied for disabilty allowance but as you know that takes ages to be refused decided lol So at the moment I'm on social welfare allowance.

So here are my queries:
    I've been here for 7yrs and still remember my old N.I.. number so can I just use that when I go back ?
    Can I claim the equivalent of SWA in the UK ? (Income support??)
    Can I make a claim for housing benefit before moving ? I think I saw on the gov.uk site you can apply 13 weeks in advance if you are moving afair ?
    I'm not getting housing benefit here as I've not been in this place for 6 months.
    I'm a British citizen so I presume that gives me some advantage ? I have a British passport, British birth and Marriage cert, I was married in the UK to an English girl - we divourced 2yrs later) Irish bank account, Irish mobile contract, so I'd be able to prove my identity.

I'm looking to move to the Bucks/Berks/London area to improve my chances of finding accommodation and possibly a job. (there are some jobs I might be ablt to do - well I'll try, if I can't manage then I'll have to give it up)

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep your NI number will be fine and you should be able to claim benefit almost straight away. that said, i'm sure this will require visiting a Job Centre in person first.

just make sure that you have all of your details handy, passport and NI number are a start. You should print off and bring copies of your bank statements for the last few years too*. You can open a bank account without these obviously but it's handy to have these things just in case.

You may be able to save PDF versions from your online bank account to a USB stick. That would be handier for the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

Thanks for the info r3nu4l (I remember the old usenet days lol) My bank account has only been open a short while so not very impressive ! But I do have my passport and although have nothing with my N.I. number printed on it, I do remember it precisely. I'll send you a postcard when I get there :)

Advertisement