Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Photo courses?

Options
  • 18-05-2013 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

Anyone been on a Dublin photocourse or other that they would recommend?

Looking to go out in a group, take some pics and then do some photoshop work and print, all under tutition

thanks

Are these guys any good?

http://theacademyofphotography.ie/dir/?cat=3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I think the iop.ie is the best recommended around here (I have no personal experience of them but others have highly recommended)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭amdgilmore

This would put me off:

http://iop.ie/holidays/hdr.htm

This is the kind of HDR that gave HDR a bad name. And they're actually teaching it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

amdgilmore wrote: »
    This would put me off:

http://iop.ie/holidays/hdr.htm

This is the kind of HDR that gave HDR a bad name. And they're actually teaching it. :confused:

Whats wrong with it? Looks ok to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Whats wrong with it? Looks ok to me!

Guy's charging €5400 to show people how to make their B&W shots look like hideous toneless mud-pictures. That's mostly what's wrong with it. OTOH photography is a wonderfully subjective pursuit so it might just be the ideal course for you !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Guy's charging €5400
    there's some excessive tone-mapping of the price going on there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That Scott Kelby blog post on HDR (posted on another thread) was very interesting - togs hate it, punters love it?

http://scottkelby.com/2010/the-case-for-hdr/

Although that was three years ago.. ;)

That Scott Kelby blog post on HDR (posted on another thread) was very interesting - togs hate it, punters love it?

http://scottkelby.com/2010/the-case-for-hdr/

Although that was three years ago.. ;)

There's a corollary there though. I.E. that a photographer who DOES like HDR isn't a 'real' photographer. Next thing you know he'll be saying that despite being born and bred in the highlands, it's inconceivable that they don't like porridge :)

Guy's charging €5400 to show people how to make their B&W shots look like hideous toneless mud-pictures. That's mostly what's wrong with it. OTOH photography is a wonderfully subjective pursuit so it might just be the ideal course for you !

where are you getting that price ... it says €450 on my screen.

Corkbah wrote: »
    where are you getting that price ... it says €450 on my screen.

12 photographers x €450

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Im still not getting it. The shots look very good to me. Perhaps overally dramatic. But certainly not "toneless" or "muddy"????

And what is OTOH?

• Advertisement

Im still not getting it. The shots look very good to me. Perhaps overally dramatic. But certainly not "toneless" or "muddy"????

And what is OTOH?

on the other hand = OTOH

(I'm guessing - but makes sense)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 The Muid

There is only one course I could conscionably recommend, and that is Photography in Dún Laoghaire IADT:

http://www.iadt.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/FacultiesCourses/FacultyofFilmArtCreativeTechnologies/BAHonoursinPhotography/

I graduated from this course last year, and I can vouch that it is the absolute pinacle of photographic education on this Island.

Only the best are accepted, and only the passionate and determined complete it.

Diarmuid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

Can anyone recommend a good beginners course for a 12 yrs old. In Cork. ?

Hello gubby,

As someone who has spent over 4 years studying photography at third level, I can promise you that short photography courses are a terrible way to learn photography - especially for a 12 year old.

What he or she should do instead is bring the camera everywhere, go hang out with friends, leave the camera on auto and just shoot lots of photos. Instead of wasting money on terrible courses run by amateurs (believe me - I know dozens of people who run these courses and they are the worst kind of incompetant amateur), invest instead in a decent laptop for editing photos.

Also, avoid camera clubs like the plague - camera clubs are where creativity goes to die.

Any more questions, I would be delighted to answer.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Muid wrote: »
    Also, avoid camera clubs like the plague - camera clubs are where creativity goes to die.

That is a huge generalisation imo.

It is, to be fair. I was only after waking up when I wrote that and I was a bit heavy with the brush stroke.

I find that camera clubs take photos that are of an exceptionally high technical quality, but that ultimately lack any real depth of meaning. When I started photography, I used to attend the local camera club, and when photographers would come to present their work, people would only ever ask questions like "What ISO did you use?", "What shutter speed/aperture/ lens/ camera body?"

These questions are ridiculous. Whenever I presented my work to them and I was asked these questions, I would always reply "The right one."

What I always ask people is "Why did you choose this subject?", "What drew you to this building?", "How does this photograph fit within the context of your other work?", "What does this photograph tell us of evolving social mores?".

This is only the very basics of a critical framework for photography, something that is missing in camera clubs. These clubs typically (but not always) judge individual images. When you have only one image to look at and nothing to compare it to, all you can judge it on are its technical merits. One photo can tell a story, but not as easily as, say, ten images can. Photography, to me, is about exploring the world around us, not reducing it to thirds and worrying about pin-sharp eyes.

Now, why do I advise that gubby's child not attend these camera clubs? Well, because they can be quite tedious. I have sat through far more presentations of "how to resize an image for the web" than I care to remember. A useful technique? yes, but a 12 year old will learn it in minutes on the internet. Many of the members of camera clubs are of an older generation to whom computer techniques do not come naturally. This certainly put me off camera clubs, though luckily not off photography as a whole. It is a rather disheartening introduction to the world of image-making.

And finally, why do I recommend against short photography courses? Again, I believe a 12 year old would find them confusing and tedious. These days cameras as so advanced that there is no need - certainly not at that young age - to learn manual or even semi-manual controls. Also, weeks spent taking pictures of buildings, flowers, models, etc. is probably not what a 12 year old would consider fun.

I would recommend the child be allowed to photograph anything without restriction - encourage them to bring the camera to family events and on trips and to just enjoy taking photographs. Never say "Oh don't take my photo!" or anything like that, just be as encouraging as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'm assuming you eschew colour photography, because you seem to live in a very black and white world :)
    It is, to be fair. I was only after waking up when I wrote that and I was a bit heavy with the brush stroke.

I find that camera clubs take photos that are of an exceptionally high technical quality, but that ultimately lack any real depth of meaning. When I started photography, I used to attend the local camera club, and when photographers would come to present their work, people would only ever ask questions like "What ISO did you use?", "What shutter speed/aperture/ lens/ camera body?"

These questions are ridiculous. Whenever I presented my work to them and I was asked these questions, I would always reply "The right one."

What I always ask people is "Why did you choose this subject?", "What drew you to this building?", "How does this photograph fit within the context of your other work?", "What does this photograph tell us of evolving social mores?".

This is only the very basics of a critical framework for photography, something that is missing in camera clubs. These clubs typically (but not always) judge individual images. When you have only one image to look at and nothing to compare it to, all you can judge it on are its technical merits. One photo can tell a story, but not as easily as, say, ten images can. Photography, to me, is about exploring the world around us, not reducing it to thirds and worrying about pin-sharp eyes.

Now, why do I advise that gubby's child not attend these camera clubs? Well, because they can be quite tedious. I have sat through far more presentations of "how to resize an image for the web" than I care to remember. A useful technique? yes, but a 12 year old will learn it in minutes on the internet. Many of the members of camera clubs are of an older generation to whom computer techniques do not come naturally. This certainly put me off camera clubs, though luckily not off photography as a whole. It is a rather disheartening introduction to the world of image-making.

And finally, why do I recommend against short photography courses? Again, I believe a 12 year old would find them confusing and tedious. These days cameras as so advanced that there is no need - certainly not at that young age - to learn manual or even semi-manual controls. Also, weeks spent taking pictures of buildings, flowers, models, etc. is probably not what a 12 year old would consider fun.

I would recommend the child be allowed to photograph anything without restriction - encourage them to bring the camera to family events and on trips and to just enjoy taking photographs. Never say "Oh don't take my photo!" or anything like that, just be as encouraging as possible.

bullpost wrote: »
    I'm assuming you eschew colour photography, because you seem to live in a very black and white world :)

How did you guess? Yes, all my most recent work has been in B&W, 32 bit HDR with 4294967294 shades of grey in between. Well spotted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭denismc

How did you guess? Yes, all my most recent work has been in B&W, 32 bit HDR with 4294967294 shades of grey in between. Well spotted ;)

You make some interesting points, is there anywhere we could see your photographs?

denismc wrote: »
    You make some interesting points, is there anywhere we could see your photographs?

Of course. I'm afraid I'm between websites atm, but work from my degree show can be viewed here:

http://www.source.ie/graduate/2012/dunlaoghba/dunlaoghba_student_21_43_30_07-05-12/dunlaoghba_student_21_43_30_07-05-12.php

And below is a link to an Irish Times article from last summer praising my work, among others:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-and-design/visual-art/future-proofing-the-arts-1.1068623?mode=print&ot=example.AjaxPageLayout.ot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

Guy's charging €5400 to show people how to make their B&W shots look like hideous toneless mud-pictures. That's mostly what's wrong with it.!

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Guy's charging €5400 to show people how to make their B&W shots look like hideous toneless mud-pictures. That's mostly what's wrong with it.

People are well informed as to what they are going to learn. If suckers want to learn to take awful HDR pictures then why deny this guy the right to charge them for it. It seems like it's geared towards people who think you need to throw money at something to learn how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,627 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I don't like HDR myself , but in fairness , the course itself is 450 per person , and includes hotel for a couple nights , b&b and dinner etc . Completly different to a full time degree course . Education is subjective and relative to different people . Some people are well qualified take dull shots to my eyes , and some people have no education and take brilliant images . Subjective, no rights or wrongs IMO.

Advertisement