Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just got DDOS'd by some ex-Internet friends

Options
  • 18-05-2013 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

I just goT DDOS'd as title says by some ex guys I used to play games with, they got my IP from a server I joined in a game and they used botnet on it, Should I be afraid of any viruses or malware? Should I change passwords for Steam etc or am I okay?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Randomise your IP. Skipping through TOR is an option, but during peak user times, it can get sluggish and time you out. You could also use a NAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

Sorry but I'm a dunce when it comes to all of this, what is a nat? and TOR?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

You shouldn't be worried they just have your public IP address, restart your router and it should change. If it doesn't ring your ISP and explain that you would like it to be changed, or maybe changed to a dynamic IP address as then if it ever happens again you can just restart your router to change it. What game were you playing out of interest that they were able to get your ip address? Or were you on ventrilo/mumble/teamspeak and they got the IP?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It really depends on how skilled and motivated your ex-friends are as hackers.

Without getting too technical, a NAT (Network Address Translation) is a programme that allows one or more IP addresses to hide behind it; i.e., the NAT has its own IP address that will be different from that assigned to your computer. NATs can be installed on your router/switch/wifi access point. So if your hacker ex-friends have your current IP, it will disappear behind the NAT IP address.

In terms of randomising your IP address, check with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to see if they will do this for you. Some do, some don't.

There are also IP masking programmes on the net, some free, some with a fee as a part of an internet security suite, etc.

Of course, if you randomise, change, or otherwise hide your IP, you may have probs with accessing servers that require you to provide a fixed IP.

TOR is a system that goes through randomized hub servers, so your IP becomes that of the hub, which changes each time. TOR can be accessed for free on the web, or through paid security software programmes. The big problem with TOR is that it's very popular when attempting to stealth about the web, and during peak times when everyone is logged-on your transmission becomes sluggish, and you can get timed out (logged off) by the server you are connected with. Plus, such sluggishness can put you behind in the competition when interactively gaming.

A really cheap way to randomise your IP is to shift from wifi hotspot to wifi hotspot (e.g., Internet Cafes or javahouses with free wifi access). The IP shown on the web is their access point, not your computer IP. Of course, this assumes you are using a laptop, netbook, tablet, or something mobile, not a desktop PC.

There are several layers of internet security methods, many of which are increasingly complex and would require a bit of study to implement them (e.g., proxies, piggybacking with permission, shadow networks, DMZs, Pandora's Box, etc.), which is probably way beyond what your needs are.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

I don't think they are that skilled. Anyway I'll just brush it off, restart my router and hope that it doesn't happen again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement