Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do

Options
  • 18-05-2013 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for advice here and hoping I'm in the right place for it.

I'm with UPC in Dublin and currently have their default Netgear router connected up to my consoles and network storage. Wirelessly, usually there are at least two devices connected to it, be it the laptops from herself and myself, one of my handheld consoles and her tablet/phone or some other combination.

It's worked quite well for us but i want to expand the number of devices connected to the router physically. The router (and modem) is set up in the living area by the tv and the consoles, there is a wall between it and the children's playroom and in there I'd like to connect their PC and if possible, their consoles also so they can watch netflix while the other plays minecraft etc.

The netgear router has 4 ports which I'm already using up, whats the best approach to take here? Should I look at daisy-chaining routers? Is that even possible? Should I invest in a router with additional ports and simply run ethernet cables through the wall to the modem?

Is there a simple solution I'm not aware of?

Cheers for the advice :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You can just connect a switch to one of the four ports, and connect more devices to the switch. The only issue here is if they all need to push a lot of traffic at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

no, there will be no LAN parties or anything :) probably the most strain it would come under would be two machines running netflix and then casual browsing on top. I've 25MB broadband with UPC and speed has never really occurred as an issue.

Would the machines plugged into the switch suffer any lag? ie, is it worth my while keeping the consoles plugged straight into the router for online gaming?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,177 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

RedXIV wrote: »
    no, there will be no LAN parties or anything :) probably the most strain it would come under would be two machines running netflix and then casual browsing on top. I've 25MB broadband with UPC and speed has never really occurred as an issue.

Would the machines plugged into the switch suffer any lag? ie, is it worth my while keeping the consoles plugged straight into the router for online gaming?

Ultimately there'll be possible bottlenecks at the single router port used by the switch, and within the switch itself depending on its speed. However since the UPC connection is only 25 megs, and the switch will be a minimum of 100 megs unless it's a museum piece, then there won't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Spear wrote: »
    Ultimately there'll be possible bottlenecks at the single router port used by the switch, and within the switch itself depending on its speed. However since the UPC connection is only 25 megs, and the switch will be a minimum of 100 megs unless it's a museum piece, then there won't be an issue.

Awesome, cheers :)

Advertisement