Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private address on traceroute through ISP

Options
  • 18-05-2013 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Probably a silly question, but... I notice when using a certain ISP that for the connection I'm on, running a trace to say Google, it will first hit my WAN IP gateway, then transition though 3 hops of Private addresses before exiting their network and then on to Google.

I am wondering, given that private addresses are in the route, could this lead to conflicts if one of these private addresses range matches my internal network range?

Nate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

No. Your outbound traffic will (almost certainly) be NAT-ed to your gateway's external IP before hitting the ISP network, so there won't be any conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Yep that makes sense, thanks.

I just found it odd to see 192.168.x.x in the trace after it left my Network.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

traceroute obiwan.scrye.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I just found it odd to see 192.168.x.x in the trace after it left my Network.

Welcome to the world of IPv4 address shortage. Even ISPs have to watch their public address usage these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Welcome to the world of IPv4 address shortage. Even ISPs have to watch their public address usage these days.

These days? This has been standard practice since the early 90's. Basic networking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭noclee

This is normal with transit routers and also give's the added advantage of security, but can be blocked by some firewalls sometimes, which can cause other issue's i.e. pmtu.

Advertisement