Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best format to save a photos?

Options
  • 18-05-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

What's the best format to save a photo on Photoshop for exporting it to the web?
    I usually just pick .tiff but is there a better format to save your raw images as??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

tiff is massive in filesize. A major disadvantage with space. But, great for quality.

Your question will really depend on how long you want to store the images. 3-4 years, well, most software will still support the current raw formats. So, leave the files as .cr2.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

If you want to keep all that RAW goodness, then consider DNG.

For just displaying images on photo sharing sites like Flickr or Pix.ie then just use jpeg but be careful with how much compression you apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Choose file > then save for web, convert to the correct colour space, resize to however big you need it to be, i.e. if it's going on boards no bigger than 800px wide for posting is normally a rule, then save as a jpeg with 0 compression, and it will turn out relatively pleasing looking.
    There's no point in applying compression because on a picture 800px wide it will already be tiny in size anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

What's the best format to save a photo on Photoshop for exporting it to the web?
    I usually just pick .tiff but is there a better format to save your raw images as??

Depends on where you want to show them..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,939 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TIFF is a poor choice for exporting it to the web. it's lossless, which results in large files, and is not as well supported as GIF, JPG or PNG online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Depends on where you want to show them..

Well I just end up exporting all my good images to pix.ie and post it on the internet like on here... I don't really understand the different formats too well but I'ld like the web uploads to look like what they did to me in camera raw or Photoshop and not lose much detail...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'ld like the web uploads to look like what they did to me in camera raw

Your images will look fairly bland in RAW. They need to be further processed to make them look anyway decent. JPEG is perfectly adequate for the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Your images will look fairly bland in RAW. They need to be further processed to make them look anyway decent. JPEG is perfectly adequate for the web.

That's adobe camera raw I meant, after post processing on my computer...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That's adobe camera raw I meant, after post processing on my computer...

You'll have to be careful with colour spaces and colour profiles when you're processing your images. Your camera might be using the sRBG colour space while Camera RAW is using Adobe RGB. Most modern web browsers support colour profiles.

If you're seeing a difference between what you see in your edited RAW image and what you export you'll need to check these things.
    Here is a guide:
    http://dpbestflow.org/color/color-space-and-color-profiles

Advertisement