Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oral - 5th year

Options
  • 18-05-2013 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi. Just here to ask some advice.
    I had my summer test for the Irish oral yesterday, fifth year. I studied for it, I am a hard worker and will always give 100%. However, Irish is probably my worst subject. It was my first time speaking Irish to anyone, I felt confident going in but once I arrived it I went blank, on my sraith pictures, and in the general conversation I couldn't even remember what a concert was in Irish - just went completely blank.
    It is extremely disheartening as I worked hard for it and gave it a lot of time and didn't do very well. Whereas other people who didn't work as hard did much better.
    What I'm trying to say is, is there time to improve? Are fifth year summer tests an indication of leaving cert results?

I know in our school, we were told for Maths that if we achieved above 55% she would be happy as our exam is from the mock papers. As are all our subjects, from mock papers.
    I worked hard this year but I feel completely disheartened. I have no motivation now as I did so badly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Claire1456 wrote: »
    I had my summer test for the Irish oral yesterday, fifth year. I studied for it, I am a hard worker and will always give 100%. However, Irish is probably my worst subject. It was my first time speaking Irish to anyone, I felt confident going in but once I arrived it I went blank, on my sraith pictures, and in the general conversation I couldn't even remember what a concert was in Irish - just went completely blank.
    It is extremely disheartening as I worked hard for it and gave it a lot of time and didn't do very well. Whereas other people who didn't work as hard did much better.
    What I'm trying to say is, is there time to improve? Are fifth year summer tests an indication of leaving cert results?

I know in our school, we were told for Maths that if we achieved above 55% she would be happy as our exam is from the mock papers. As are all our subjects, from mock papers.
    I worked hard this year but I feel completely disheartened. I have no motivation now as I did so badly.

Think how far you have come this year and the amount of stuff you got covered in fifth year you have that same amount of time again! plus a summer if you were stuck, of course summer tests are not an indication of leaving cert results or they wouldn't leave a whole other year to do it , you are only half way there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Claire1456 wrote: »

This is where your problem is - you need to practise a little every day - not much, but a little, and extend this as you get close to exams.

Language is only so much theory, then you need to go and do it. It's a bit like learning to ride a bicycle from a manual - it'll only get you so far. You need to go out and do it.

The motivation etc will come back in September!

Practise a bit and you'll be fine!

Advertisement