Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I eligable to receive the SUSI grant in 2013/14

Options
  • 18-05-2013 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello there,

I'm heading into my final year (4th year). In the academic year 2012/13, I had to take the year out to repeat 3 modules I had failed in 3rd year. I repeated these modules in the 1st semester of 2012/13 and subsequently passed them, meaning I had completely 3rd year. Obviously, I did not receive a grant during this time because you're not eligible to receive it in a repeat year.

I will be starting 4th year in September 2013. I'm just wondering, am I entitled to receive the SUSI grant for the coming academic year?

According to here,
    In general, you will not get a grant for repeating a year or attending a course at a level that does not represent progression from what you have done before. However, ‘second chance students’ may be eligible for a grant. A ‘second chance student’ is someone who is aged over 23, did not successfully complete an earlier course and is returning to pursue an approved course after at least 5 years.

I'm not 100% sure if this means that I'm not eligible to continue receiving the grant for my final year. Technically, I am progressing, having passed the repeat modules. I just need some clarification.

Also, I have never registered with SUSI before because it was under a different system before 2012 and I received the grant from my local county council. My registration fees were also covered.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You will probably be eligible but there are no guarantees because the grant rules change every year.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement