Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacking the History exam with the German language.

Options
  • 17-05-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I'm starting to become increasingly concerned with getting a decent grade in History. I have two questions as to whether I can 'hax' the paper.

I speak (moderately) fluent German, would it be okay for me to write as much as utterly possible in German? I.e, Place Names, Organisations, Mottos .etc. How much would be too much? Should I bother? I've been too busy listening to my "Volksempfaenger" all year to pay attention to my teacher!

Additionally, when it says 'Dictators' in the question, or simply 'Facism' (Ambiguously, I mean); can I include Franco? I know a fair bit about Spanish Fascism because I did my RSR on it.

And here's an example of what I mean:
    Historian Victor Klemperer noted in his book, Lingua Tertii Imperii, that propaganda relied heavily on Euphemisms: German Euphemism A ("Translation": Meaning); German Euphemism B ("Translation": Meaning); German Euphemism C ("Translation": Meaning); German Euphemism, D ("Translation": Meaning).

Additionally, Goebbels often went beyond the confines of the Deutschsprache (German Language) and invented buzzwords, such as A, B, C and D (a, b, c and d)

Overkill? Or high CM? ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

if the examiner understand german he might get what your trying to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Moromaster wrote: »
    I'm starting to become increasingly concerned with getting a decent grade in History. I have two questions as to whether I can 'hax' the paper.

I speak (moderately) fluent German, would it be okay for me to write as much as utterly possible in German? I.e, Place Names, Organisations, Mottos .etc. How much would be too much? Should I bother? I've been too busy listening to my "Volksempfaenger" all year to pay attention to my teacher!

Additionally, when it says 'Dictators' in the question, or simply 'Facism' (Ambiguously, I mean); can I include Franco? I know a fair bit about Spanish Fascism because I did my RSR on it.

And here's an example of what I mean:

Overkill? Or high CM? ;)

This is Ireland. We sit our exams in English or Irish, not German. Write your answers in English. No examiner should have to spend time translating from German to English when they are correcting. Nor are they obliged to. If a well known phrase appears in your history book 'Arbeit macht frei', 'Ein Reich, ein Volk, ein Fuhrer' fair enough use it to emphasise your point. Throwing in stuff to show you know German will piss off the examiner if they don't understand it. It's not a German exam.

If you spent more time listening to your teacher, you might possibly pick up more of what is going on in class.

Advertisement