Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA after FÁS course

Options
  • 17-05-2013 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently doing a FÁS course and it will be finishing in a few weeks, and I'm just wondering about signing on after the course if I don't get paid employment.

Should I start the application process now in case I don't get a job? If I do get a job I'll inform them and they can cancel my application?

Before I started this course I was getting JSA and getting €100 per week, if that has any relevance at all.

I'd appreciate any help,

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...they had arrangements with social welfare which allowed participants to get back on Social Welfare without any break or interruption in payments.

There was some complication when going on the FAS course from Social Welfare in a delay in getting the FAS payment but not in coming off.

As it was I got a job very shortly afterwards, which lasted 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Thanks. I did a short FÁS course last year and the SW suspended my claim and when my course ended the SW took my claim off suspension and it resumed as normal, but this course is for nine months and when we started it we had to sign off completely so that's why I'm unsure if I should re-apply for JSA now, or wait until my course ends and then apply. I don't know if the application process takes as long as it used to or if it's quicker now. I know when I first applied for JSA it took about four months for my claim to be processed.

I do hope to have paid employment after my course ends, but as its not guaranteed I need to have a back up as I'll need money to live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

You go down and tell the SW office when you finosh your course, then you have to wait a few days to get a letter from Fás saying the course is finished. Bring that down the the SW office and then just wait. It takes a couple of weeks to get up and running again in most places though, so you might need to take a trip to the CWO :)

Fás will most likely send someone in to talk to you about this in the last week of the course anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

stacexD wrote: »
    You go down and tell the SW office when you finosh your course, then you have to wait a few days to get a letter from Fás saying the course is finished. Bring that down the the SW office and then just wait. It takes a couple of weeks to get up and running again in most places though, so you might need to take a trip to the CWO :)

Fás will most likely send someone in to talk to you about this in the last week of the course anyway..

Thanks a million, so you do you have to wait a few weeks for your claim to be decided, so would it be better to go to them a few weeks before the course ends with all the application info and then when the course ends bring in the letter from FÁS stating that the course has ended. Would it not speed things up?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Thanks a million, so you do you have to wait a few weeks for your claim to be decided, so would it be better to go to them a few weeks before the course ends with all the application info and then when the course ends bring in the letter from FÁS stating that the course has ended. Would it not speed things up?

Not 100% sure, but I don't think they do much before you bring the in the letter. Think it was about 3 weeks before my claim was back up and running, although nearly everyone else on my course had to go for the means test interview again for some reason!

Someone in Fás might be able to tell you for sure, or even just give the SW office a ring. Remember you'll have the extra week from Fás to help too :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement