Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Schmidt should be allowed take each province for training at an agreed frequency

Options
  • 17-05-2013 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭

Thoughts?

Given the concerns regarding how he will implement the coaching side of his management within the time-restricted international windows, this could be a solution.

Maybe each province, once a fortnight?

Joe Schmidt should be allowed take each province for training at an agreed frequency 19 votes

Yay
    0% 0 votes
    Nay
    100% 19 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

No, it wouldn't completely undermine the coaches at the four provinces

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No way

That is too encroaching on the provincial coaches. Between all the Ireland camps Schmidt will get enough access to the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

No no and no. Each province should be free to develop their own style to provide a wider mix of skills and approaches to the game, using different tactics to counter various opponents. Interference from the national coach to hemogenise the 4 provinces tactics and emphasis, interfering in product selection would hurt the national side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

No way

That is too encroaching on the provincial coaches. Between all the Ireland camps Schmidt will get enough access to the players.

The concern there is that by the time they get to camp it could be too late to work on certain things. Some ideas may need to develop over a period of time, assessed periodically, and then all brought into focus and refined at camp.
    I am pie wrote: »
    No no and no. Each province should be free to develop their own style to provide a wider mix of skills and approaches to the game, using different tactics to counter various opponents. Interference from the national coach to hemogenise the 4 provinces tactics and emphasis, interfering in product selection would hurt the national side.

I wouldn't imagine he'd want to change the provinces' style or identity at all, but instead monitor and evaluate the entire pool of players on a more consistent basis, implement certain ideas and personal development programmes, but all with a view to upcoming international fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The concern there is that by the time they get to camp it could be too late to work on certain things. Some ideas may need to develop over a period of time, assessed periodically, and then all brought into focus and refined at camp.

I'm sorry but that's just too much interference. There are plenty camps, including pre-season, where Schmidt will get to work with his players.

Also I can't imagine Schmidt wanting to go to every province to explain the same things four times.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry but that's just too much interference. There are plenty camps, including pre-season, where Schmidt will get to work with his players.

Also I can't imagine Schmidt wanting to go to every province to explain the same things four times.

I'm sure he wouldn't be saying the same thing to each province, given their diversity in playing styles, strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Plus, would it really be interfering? Aside from the logistic side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I see your angle here, but don't agree with it.

Kinda like putting all your eggs in one basket.

prospect wrote: »
    I see your angle here, but don't agree with it.

Kinda like putting all your eggs in one basket.

Not really. If it were a case that he was directing the provincial coaches how their teams should play, then yes, it would be the all eggs in a single basket scenario. And way too much interference.

But my proposal is just that he gets more consistent access to the players, in order to capitalise on his speciality as a coach, and shape them with a view to how they may play for Ireland, individually and as a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Not really. If it were a case that he was directing the provincial coaches how their teams should play, then yes, it would be the all eggs in a single basket scenario. And way too much interference.

But my proposal is just that he gets more consistent access to the players, in order to capitalise on his speciality as a coach, and shape them with a view to how they may play for Ireland, individually and as a team.

But he has enough access to the squads through camps to do this anyway taking

All it would do is disrupt provincial training regiments and piss off/undermine other coaches

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Considering Kidney did it occasionaly I doubt it would be seen as too interfereing

That said I'm not sure if he took the whole session or just took a group to one side and works with them.

At one stage Schmidt was interviewed about (or talked about during an interviewed) his interactions with the AIL teams and Leinster player, about whether he asked them to play certain styles or whether he asked them to play players in certain positions.

It was either in the times or the indo. Anyone feel like hunting it down, would be interesting to see since he will probably see his interactions with the provinces similarily when he is Ireland coach.

• Advertisement

trouttrout wrote: »
    But he has enough access to the squads through camps to do this anyway taking

There's a pretty unanimous opinion amongst pundits (including former Leinster players like Horgan) that he won't have enough time during international camps. Hence my suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,034 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Seeing as Penney was quoted by Earls as saying that he was extremely impressed by the skill levels of Munster players when he arrived I'd have no problems with Joe getting to take some sessions with other provinces as coaches clearly see certain skills as being of higher importance than others.

The Irish team simply cant function if a half or a third of the players (no offense Connacht) dont have the skillset to play the game he wants to play. If provinces dont want to give him some sway in the training/skills they focus on then they can have no complaints if players from other provinces who are more suited/skilled in Joe's gameplan are selected ahead of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

There's a pretty unanimous opinion amongst pundits (including former Leinster players like Horgan) that he won't have enough time during international camps. Hence my suggestion.

The kiwi model would work best whereby the national coach has regular meetings with provincial coaches and they discuss any innovations they have, gameplans, etc so that each province could learn something off the next, and whilst each province would still maintain some identity re game play, there would still be sufficient similarities in styles that they could be transferred to the national team relatively easily. I mean if all the province's could pass as well as Leinster do we would be off to a great start, just an example

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

He is forever welcome to drop into Leinster, but none of you other, lesser provinces can have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

The kiwi model would work best whereby the national coach has regular meetings with provincial coaches and they discuss any innovations they have, gameplans, etc so that each province could learn something off the next, and whilst each province would still maintain some identity re game play, there would still be sufficient similarities in styles that they could be transferred to the national team relatively easily. I mean if all the province's could pass as well as Leinster do we would be off to a great start, just an example

I'm pretty sure the kiwi model goes further than that. The national coach sets one style of play to be followed by every team. That's the model I would like to see Ireland adopt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

Why is everyone talking about identity.

If there's a consensus the national coach isnt given enough time with players, the solution is to give him more while minimising disruption.

Advertisement