Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trawling wet flies.

Options
  • 17-05-2013 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi guy. Just wondering has many of ye trawled wet flys and what is year taughts of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

I've done it once or twice you will catch fish nearly every troll but will be nearly all small, my biggest was a 1.5lb seatrout

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭.james1984

realrebel wrote: »
    I've done it once or twice you will catch fish nearly every troll but will be nearly all small, my biggest was a 1.5lb seatrout

I was on the corrib last week and I done everything bar net them and never got rise. It got very rough at one stage and hung the flies out the back of the boat and went about ten yards and a fish took. I caught 6 fish after that. Biggest was 3 lb. when I mentioned it in the pub that night I was pretty much told I should be ashamed of myself and that I was nothing more than a poacher. I don't see what the prob was as all fish was returned alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

Don't mind them fools you aren't breaking any laws doing that, it's the same as trolling lures out the back
    I suppose it's because you have a fly rod then I'm thinking they want you to cast the flies
    That was a nice fish you caught there I must try and fish corrib someday myself

I had a mighty tussle with him. Corrib is great when the fishing a good but it has its off days to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

TROLLING flies is great in shallow rocky bays I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Loads of guys and I mean locals here trawl flies in Corrib, what pub was it ?

The one in corr na mona. I don't they wer local either. I'm goin down for years and never met them b4.

.james1984 wrote: »
    I was on the corrib last week and I done everything bar net them and never got rise. It got very rough at one stage and hung the flies out the back of the boat and went about ten yards and a fish took. I caught 6 fish after that. Biggest was 3 lb. when I mentioned it in the pub that night I was pretty much told I should be ashamed of myself and that I was nothing more than a poacher. I don't see what the prob was as all fish was returned alive.

Unfortunately that attitude is rampant among some fly fishermen. ..they think they are the elite anglers of the world...wouldnt mind em.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Toss pots, same guys probably fish buzzers under a bung kill their quota everyday they can and can only cast with a wind at their backs. Probably had all the gear and talked **** with the best of them, Mayfly brings some right plonkers to the lakes

stylie wrote: »
    , Mayfly brings some right plonkers to the lakes

It does indeed....the type that don't go fishing at any other time of year.
    Look down on you if you fish for anything other than trout.
    Look Down you if you troll lures.

I couldn't give a **** about people like that.
    I fish where I want and how I want..no tweed jacket wearing arse hole will tell me that I'm wrong and get away with it.

If I'm out fishing for pike or trolling for trout..and see a few lads fly fishing I'll give them plenty of space...its about being respectful

But if I get any attitude from them I'll troll right up between all there boats just to piss them off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

There's always a few idiots. Only fish the fly myself but have no problem with anyone fishing other methods as long as they're sticking to local regulations.
    Often troll flies while going back up to do another drift, you'll often get fish as you turn the boat and flies either speed up or slow down. Never got anything decent doing it though, all small fish.

Unfortunately that seems to be the case with some fly fishing men. I will fish for anything but I've got into flys the last couple of years. I even use them for pike and have great sport on them. I don't see why one sort of angler should look down there nose at any other kind. Most of us is in it for sport. I might keep one or two fish a year for the pot but that be it. Been called a poacher kinda left a bad taste as I returned all alive.

Advertisement