Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No such thing as a stupid question- framing a photo

Options
  • 17-05-2013 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have an 8" by 12" photo and a frame with mount.
    What's considered the best way to secure the photo in the frame?

do people generally use masking tape and sellotape the photo onto the back of the mount?
    or put something (cardboard etc.) behind the photo and then the back of the frame onto it?
    or use a 'special' tape thingy/triangle that the photo corners sit into and tape to the mount?
    or what is the best method?
    Cheers in advance,
    pa.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 acrylicgift

Hi Pa,

Since the photo frame measure 8"x12",so the size is a little large ,the photo frame are be free standing .
    Usually ,for such size photo frame ,there are two long stainless steel nail to support the photo frame, so that it can stand by itself.
    When you want to mound the photo frame ,there are similar advertisin screw to mound the frame with the wall .
    You can google such advertising screw ,there are many pictures for your reference ,i think you also can buy them from Dublin market.

Good luck
    Judeon

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

Hinge mount it.

Lay the picture face down and flat. Apply ordinary clear Sellotape to the top of the pic but only about 10mm down and all the way across. Make sure this tape is even and well pressed down. With a craft knife; cut the Sellotape tight around the edges of the picture leaving just the tape on the pic, no tape coming over sides of the picture.

Leave the picture face down and now with framing tape ( I've never seen it in shops, I get mine from my framer) put this tape over the Sellotape, leaving about 2 mm of Sellotape still showing on the back of the pic. Cut the framing tape nicely, leaving about a 15mm border around the left, top and right of the pic. Pull the excess tape away.

Carefully peel the tape and pic from work surface and lie it face up.

Squarely set the mount on the picture, when you're happy it's positioned correctly rub you finger firmly across the mount above the pic.

Lift mount and run your fingernail into the tape joint between pic and mount a few times.

Pop it into frame.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

^^^^^^^

I didn't realise someone else was logged in on my computer, I wrote the above but I'm not re-writing it under my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Suzyq wrote: »
    Hinge mount it.

Lay the picture face down and flat. Apply ordinary clear Sellotape to the top of the pic but only about 10mm down and all the way across. Make sure this tape is even and well pressed down. With a craft knife; cut the Sellotape tight around the edges of the picture leaving just the tape on the pic, no tape coming over sides of the picture.

Leave the picture face down and now with framing tape ( I've never seen it in shops, I get mine from my framer) put this tape over the Sellotape, leaving about 2 mm of Sellotape still showing on the back of the pic. Cut the framing tape nicely, leaving about a 15mm border around the left, top and right of the pic. Pull the excess tape away.

Carefully peel the tape and pic from work surface and lie it face up.

Squarely set the mount on the picture, when you're happy it's positioned correctly rub you finger firmly across the mount above the pic.

Lift mount and run your fingernail into the tape joint between pic and mount a few times.

Pop it into frame.

Cheers for the detailed reply. I don't get this-
    With a craft knife; cut the Sellotape tight around the edges of the picture leaving just the tape on the pic, no tape coming over sides of the picture.

What's the purpose of applying sellotape but not having any of it coming past the edge of the photo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

for longevity, DO NOT put masking tape or sellotape anywhere near your images

it kind of depends on the level of framing your attempting.

the fine art trade guild specify 5 levels

i suspect you want to aim around the middle

which involve whats called a book mount, ie a window mount and another solid piece hinged together to make a book

you then put the piece against the back or undermount and hinge the print in the top 2 corners of the image, u idealy only use a connection of approx 3 mm ish

i use japanese tissue for this kind of mounting, its not cheap but if you value your prints thats what you should use.

a slightly cheaper way is, buy some ph neutral self adhesive tape tape it across the back of the top edge of the print, so it sticks out across the top edge, sit the mount on top and rub down

there are as many issues in the kind of board you use as much as tape.

heres a diagram of how things go together

http://www.in-frame.co.uk/images/pic_frame_diagram_revised.jpg

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    Cheers for the detailed reply. I don't get this-
    With a craft knife; cut the Sellotape tight around the edges of the picture leaving just the tape on the pic, no tape coming over sides of the picture.

What's the purpose of applying sellotape but not having any of it coming past the edge of the photo?

My method is way down market on what Steve says. He knows his onions when it comes to this too so if I were you I'd go with what he says.

However mine is a simple enough solution if you're looking for a quick option.

The sellotape is used to stiffen the paper. For 8"x12" prints I use fuji lab prints so the paper not terribly thick and if I just use framing tape then the paper can warp easier so I put a strip of sellotape (as above) on first to stiffen it.

All I can say is that works for me.

Don't go near marking tape at all though.

But as already said: if you wanna do it right then refer to Steve's post.

Your method are perfect . You know the structure very well ,do you also do photo frame ? :-)

Your method are perfect . You know the structure very well ,do you also do photo frame ? :-)

I frame my own which I sell in my little gallery in Dublin city centre. I don't make the frames but i hang the picture myself using this method (up to 12x18) and have never had a picture returned by a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

not sure who the question was for

but yes i make bespoke frames, print and mount

in various ways, in over 4000 different frame styles if needed :-)

stcstc wrote: »
    not sure who the question was for

Yeah, I was wondering that too :).

• Advertisement

How nice ,so usually what material photo frame do you deal in dublin ? Do you have website for visiting ? :-)
    humberklog wrote: »
    I frame my own which I sell in my little gallery in Dublin city centre. I don't make the frames but i hang the picture myself using this method (up to 12x18) and have never had a picture returned by a customer.

How nice ,so usually what material photo frame do you deal in dublin ? Do you have website for visiting ? :-)

From this size

B1077E9D358B41CB8E0A9271F317686B-0000321256-0003089250-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

Through 6"x4", 4"x12", 6"x9", 8"x12", these frames are a black composite material and then 9"x18" and 12"x18" using wooden box frames.

I use 3 different suppliers for particular products, all are Irish based.

I don't have a web site, I don't really like them when used for artistic photography. I don't need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

^^^^^^^

I didn't realise someone else was logged in on my computer, I wrote the above but I'm not re-writing it under my account.

Yeah right, Runs off to check out other posts by Humerklog's alter ego....... Ooooh! ;)

OH,Great . since you have rich resource for these photo frame and no website ,i think you may conider selling them on ebay ,amazon ,which have many visitors every day . :-)

From this size

B1077E9D358B41CB8E0A9271F317686B-0000321256-0003089250-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

Through 6"x4", 4"x12", 6"x9", 8"x12", these frames are a black composite material and then 9"x18" and 12"x18" using wooden box frames.

I use 3 different suppliers for particular products, all are Irish based.

I don't have a web site, I don't really like them when used for artistic photography. I don't need one.

OH,Great . since you have rich resource for these photo frame and no website ,i think you may conider selling them on ebay ,amazon ,which have many visitors every day . :-)

Ah no not my thing really. Selling on line seems like more work.

I'm very contented in what I have and how I do it with regards to selling my pics. Just suits me.

Advertisement